Canon G15 - everything you need to know is here :)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alcina

Missing Diva.
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I'm updating the Everything Photo Sticky and need your input on this camera please :)

Please pop in your thoughts on the systems, tips & tricks, what housing/strobes/add-ons etc you have and add photos to this thread. Links to your galleries etc are great, too, but please pop in a few stills & video so those who are looking for a new underwater system can find lots of goodies about this option all in this one thread. Once we get it happening, I'll add it to the Sticky!

Last edited:
I just used it for the first very time my G15 last weekend.Great camera, bigger screen, unlike my old oly5050wz which is 1 3/4 " only. I am still quite new and unfamiliar with this camera, I used the Inon 2000z.strobe AND It matched perfectly. Though the housing of the Canon does not fit perfectly with my tray which seems not wide in depth enough to fit the housing. Though just a little bit, but still I was able to use it last weekend. My problem now is finding wet lenses for my housing. Is there any out there that I can use?

I'm a fairly new photographer, previously having used a small sony, chosen because it fit in my BCD pocket. Loving the G15 so far. I use a Nauticam housing, and took these shots with no strobe (haven't taken that out of the box yet) with an Inon UCL 165M67 attached. LOVE the attachment to the Nauticam; super easy underwater.

IMG_0625.jpgIMG_0657.jpgIMG_0686.jpgIMG_0692.jpgIMG_0708.jpg

I'm using a Canon G15 in the Ikelite housing with wired strobes, a DS160 and a DS161

I find that I setup the two custom modes on the dial as RAW with Custom white balance, one Av the other P.
The quick access button on the top left is set to allow me fast access to white balance changing.
I flip between the two custom white balances using one for close distances (where the strobes cover) and one for farther out (where the strobe won't hit) and I tend to re-do the balance every 5-10 feet of depth change.

Mostly I end up shooting Program mode (P) for most of my shots and they come out really well (I posted some on another thread) when I want a little more control over DOF or want to black out the background I use the Av mode.

-R

I use it in a nauticam housing with inon s2000 and subsee +5.

---------- Post added August 15th, 2013 at 04:57 PM ----------

I just used it for the first very time my G15 last weekend.Great camera, bigger screen, unlike my old oly5050wz which is 1 3/4 " only. I am still quite new and unfamiliar with this camera, I used the Inon 2000z.strobe AND It matched perfectly. Though the housing of the Canon does not fit perfectly with my tray which seems not wide in depth enough to fit the housing. Though just a little bit, but still I was able to use it last weekend. My problem now is finding wet lenses for my housing. Is there any out there that I can use?

Since you are using the nauticam housing, you have a nice variety of wet lenses to chose from for macro and supermacro. For WA, the only good option is made by inon. Can't remember the exact lens but anyone at Reef photo, Bluewater photo, backscatter or optical ocean can assist you! I know that reef photo does international orders and am guessing that some of the others do as well. All are very reliable dealers

I use it in a nauticam housing with inon s2000 and subsee +5.

---------- Post added August 15th, 2013 at 04:57 PM ----------

Since you are using the nauticam housing, you have a nice variety of wet lenses to chose from for macro and supermacro. For WA, the only good option is made by inon. Can't remember the exact lens but anyone at Reef photo, Bluewater photo, backscatter or optical ocean can assist you! I know that reef photo does international orders and am guessing that some of the others do as well. All are very reliable dealers

hi, Sorry but I am using the canon wp-dc48 housing. with the Inon 2000z strobe and inon tray and arms. i don't know if there are any wet lenses for this housing which I can incorporate into my setup.

Great thread !!!

I've owned G15 (Canon UW Housing) since last December and have nothing but good things to say about the camera. It is very easy to use (much easier than Sony RX100) and it produces great pictures. I also think that it is much better at macro photography than RX100.

I made a similar post in Sony forum since I own both of the cameras.

I thought that perhaps a link to my photo set from the trip which includes images from both of the cameras could be useful for some new users who are looking for comparisons. Image names starting with DSC are from the rX100 and starting with IMG are from the G15.

P.S I am a noob at photography both UW and topside.

Sharm-El-Sheikh - a set on Flickr

hi, Sorry but I am using the canon wp-dc48 housing. with the Inon 2000z strobe and inon tray and arms. i don't know if there are any wet lenses for this housing which I can incorporate into my setup.

There are a few adapters that will allow you to add a macro or supermacro wet lens to that housing. Inon also makes an adaptor so you can use inon WA lens I talked about above with that housing. All the dealers I mentioned above can assist you.

I flip between the two custom white balances using one for close distances (where the strobes cover) and one for farther out (where the strobe won't hit)

You're shooting in RAW, right? If so you're making a lot of work for yourself setting WB. Just leave it in Auto or Underwater and tweak it in Lightroom. You have a lot to keep up with already. Adding in custom WB is unnecessary.

-Charles

Back
Top Bottom