Environmental - - Bad News (Cayman Brac)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

-hh

Contributor
Reaction score
Those of us who know & love the Brac have seen the political maneuvering coming for this one for a couple of years.

While Cayman been making loud noises that they're expanding their environmental protections, the ONLY designated animal sanctuary on the Brac has just been de-listed:

Cayman Islands News

Bluntly, what this move does is it rewards the owner of the Alexander Hotel: under a premise of "clean up the bad smell", the wetlands habitat of Dennis Point Pond (aka Salt Water Pond) will be disrupted - - and since the Hotel's long term plan is to blast a channel out to the sea and make it into a boat marina - - this wetlands habitat will ultimately destroyed entirely.

Result: the Cayman West Indian Whistling Duck - - a threatened species - - loses more of its already very limited wetlands habitat.

I suggest that Brac visitors make sure to fill out the visitor survey form in the airport departure lounge, and make sure to check off the "Birdwatching" activity in addition to diving/etc. It is probably too late because the "Political Fix is In", but as the tourism dollars we can at least send a message that we value their wildlife even if they don't.

-hh

I read this on CNS yesterday and even posted my two cents in the comments section. It's abhorrent. When I first heard of this a while back, I dismissed it as silly posturing by a developer. Joke is on me. And everyone who gives a damn about Brac and Cayman as a whole. Whether it's this clown Dilbert and his pathetic hotel or the Dart group and all their bull**** on Grand, the future in Cayman is not shaping up well.

Moses and Juliana have buckled to the perceived benefit they foolishly believe Brac will gain from this stunt. It's shameful and if they ever get a sense of value, they should feel a healthy dose of self-loathing for the rest of their lives.

I will personally make every effort I can to get the word out to any dive trip operators who plan to go to Brac to boycott Mr. Dilbert's Joke-tel.

Why don't they focus on cleaning up that eyesore just down the road, the Divi?

OF COURSE, Dilbert did not know of these odors before he built the hotel. LOL Why not build it anyway and then complain and have the law changed.

Reactions: -hh
OF COURSE, Dilbert did not know of these odors before he built the hotel. LOL Why not build it anyway and then complain and have the law changed.

I'm quite sure Mr. Dilbert's complaining was accompanied by a nice contribution to certain politicians' favorite charities. Like their own bank accounts.

Well then one could say that the hotel stinks in more ways than one.

p.s. I've stayed there, why didn't they build the hotel on the ocean and they would have had a nice view of the ocean?

otoh, I haven't seen much discussion (by either side) as to how important the area of interest is to the West Indian ducks or other wildlife.
Normally I'd expect to see one side citing studies to the effect that the the area is (or isn't) critical because ...
Instead I simply see assertions that it is an important protected area.

or maybe I missed it.

otoh, I haven't seen much discussion (by either side) as to how important the area of interest is to the West Indian ducks or other wildlife.
Normally I'd expect to see one side citing studies to the effect that the the area is (or isn't) critical because ...
Instead I simply see assertions that it is an important protected area.

or maybe I missed it.

There were several reviews and comments from experts on Brac and in Cayman about the ecological impact back when this "idea" was first hatched a year or two back. I think most people assumed that given the insanity of the idea, it just went away. And in typical politician fashion, they waited until the clamor died down and people were focusing on other issues to slide it right through, unnoticed and unchallenged. Quite shrewd actually. And you have to be shrewd when you so blatantly screw the people and the land you allegedly represent. Other than this one short-sighted developer, who does this benefit? Public tax money will be used to finance this project which will benefit Mr. Dilbert alone and cause irreparable environmental harm.

More info: http://www.ieyenews.com/2012/11/smelly-brackish-water-from-brac-pond-means-no-sanctuary/

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom