Brac report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vincent54

Contributor
Reaction score
The Brac has had magnificent weather the last couple of weeks. No wind, hot, no swell and crystal visibility. The forecast hast a chance of showers daily and nothing.

All the dive operators have had full boats, which is good. Shore diving on north and the south has been fantastic. Plenty of sea turtles towards east half of island, I think they are getting ready to nest. Sharks seem to be more plentiful on the south wall dives Still see some huge lobster and the conchs are everywhere.

Hope everyone can come and enjoy. Cheers

I hope you have some photos!

I had a cameratastrophy. Dropped the camera when I fell on the sea urchins trying to get out at heritage reef. Face plant onto camera, cracked housing. Went to the go pro. Cheers

I had a cameratastrophy. Dropped the camera when I fell on the sea urchins trying to get out at heritage reef. Face plant onto camera, cracked housing. Went to the go pro. Cheers

That sounds like a terrible report on the camera, I hope you didn't get too stabbed by the urchins!

Last edited:
Camera is toast. The urchins were crushed under my massive gear setup. The coral abrasions are now infected, but the diving has been superb.

I found my first sailfin blenny and fly gurnard swimming out to radar reef. Big sea turtles everywhere, so I'm happy happy. Cheers

... All the dive operators have had full boats, ...
"All" implies three or more. Last I recall there were only two, Reef Divers and Scuba Shack. Who all is operating now? - just curious

thanks,

k

but the diving has been superb.

I found my first sailfin blenny and fly gurnard swimming out to radar reef. Big sea turtles everywhere, so I'm happy happy. Cheers

Radar is also a good night dive, flying gunards are well known at Bus Stop.

Last edited:
"All" implies three or more. Last I recall there were only two, Reef Divers and Scuba Shack. Who all is operating now? - just curious

thanks,

k
Just scuba shack and reef divers.. All referred to the entire group, could have said both.

An update to the report, the Alexander Hotel is closing for good. Alexander Hotel to close :: Cayman Compass The decision not to improve the area is the reason. The planned marina has been shut down.

A week ago the stench was overwhelming.

Those that know Brac and swim out in front of the pond area will tell you the reef is dead in that area. the water is degrees higher than the surrounding reef. My thought is the ponds leach out through the limestone and already impacts the reef. To complicate matters, the dump is at the east end and sits directly on top of the salt pond. Every chemical and poison will ultimately leach into the existing pond and out to the reef.

Personally, I feel they should open it up, clean the pond out, make a marina and take care of the dump. Contain the damage to the reef that has already been done. A few million dollars well spent. BTW all the ducks were at someones house on the west ponds playing in the clean water. Cheers

On a side note I believe most of the reviews on TA for the Alexander are fake.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Back
Top Bottom