Best guide to use in Belize?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm new to ScubaBoard. My daughter (age 17) and I will be in Belize for 10 days for Christmas. We are open water certified and looking for a small high quality dive shop to dive with while we are down there. We have done 12 dives each -- so still rookies. Looking for someone who is very knowledgable, with a good boat (with some shade), who takes our groups of 8 divers or fewer. Not interested in operations who take out 12+ divers and/or have a boat with no cover or bimini. Any wisdom welcomed! Patrick (and Megan)

Hi Patrick. I was born and raised in Harrison, just west of you and I've been living in Belize the last 12 years.
You'll be there for the busy season and winds can be a bit stiff creating choppy water outside the reef but it's not bad.
Little to no current off San Pedro (I assume that's where you're going?). Good for newer divers.
I dove with Bottom Time and Amigos Del Mar years ago. There's a lot of good shops there. I'm sure Peter will chime in here. He lives there (I live down south in Stann Creek) and can give you better info.
Have fun. Go Bengals !! (looks like they're REALLY going to suck this year :D)

If you are going to stay in San Pedro on Ambergris Caye, then Island Divers. Rudy left Bottom Time and has started his own operation. Tell him about your experience level and you will be taken care of.

We used both Island Divers and Ecologic last year. Please notice that I recommended ONE dive op. Ian (Ecologic, the owner) lost all credibility with a total bs answer to a concern I had (leaking tank neck orings). BTW, the NITROX tanks were supplied by Amigos Del Mar.

Like Hank said, listen to Peter if he chimes in.

Well this IS Peter chiming in! Sorry I didn't spot this thread until prompted. Obviously I would have recommended my own shop when I was running it, but as a guide I wouldn't have recommended myself. I don't think I'm a bad instructor, but I'm hopeless as a guide - I usually depend on the guests to point interesting things out for me!

You want a combination of someone who'll look out for you and your safety and someone who'll give you an interesting and fun time. One of the best individuals for that used to be Junior Tillett, who worked for me for years then moved to the then nascent Ecologic, and subsequently left there. Along the way he became an instructor, and now I think he only instructs and doesn't "just guide" any more. I'm not even sure where he works, as I don't seem to see him around, though I'm told he still occasionally teaches for Ecologic - which incidentally is no longer run by Ian, although I believe the ownership hasn't changed. Their approach now is to keep a low profile locally, quite unlike Ian's, to the extent I don't know much about them.

That said, my recommendation remains Island Divers. They run a tight and friendly operation that nonetheless maintains high levels of professionalism. Their guiding approach is slightly more "hands off" than some, which I prefer to the "mothering" approach, though as with many guides you do need to watch out for "follow my leader" guiding. That's best handled by a word in the ear during a surface interval. I've dived with lots of other centres around here and I come back to Island Divers as giving me the best overall feeling. Like pretty well all shops around here, they offer air and 32% nitrox. If pressed they can get 36%, though there's really little point in it for recreational diving. Since I closed my technical dive centre no-one has offered mixed gases or more advanced equipment, though I believe you can now get both at Belize Diving Services on Caye Caulker.

There is an option that I'd like to mention. If you decide to stay at Tranquility Bay, at the far northern end of Ambergris Caye (12 miles north of San Pedro) then without a doubt use their small in-house dive operation (which I helped to set up). It's very small, very personal, and professionally run. It's not well equipped, but it has everything you need. The diving up there is lovely, perhaps what it was around town some years back before the fishermen got at it, and I would very happily dive there for a week. Diving can be where and when you choose, and the boat goes out when YOU'RE ready. Night dives up there are a joy. There's a large expanse of interesting yet shallow diving leading to the drop-off, when you find the same sort of near-wall diving you get elsewhere. And Tranquility Bay is a peaceful, tranquil, place to stay. Although it's a long way north getting to excursions such as Blue Hole or mainland ruins trips is still easy. And the food is superb.

Hi my son 12 Advanced Jr Padi about 40 dives and myself Advanced over 200 are looking at diving in Belize in March. We will be diving again in Cozumel in December but want to try something different for March. I didn't see anything useful on Scuba Currents but would like to hear more about Tranquility bay accomodations and getting there etc. You mention the food is great but would they be able to cater to a Gluten free person?

Another potential wrinkle is my cousin and her son 14 (Gluten free) both just took their course and need to do their open water dives. Can they do this there? Or where and with whom would you recommend. One comment I have heard is the water is very choppy and they are concerned about this. We of course are not as we have dove in Lake ON at 53 degrees in choppy weather, lol

Last edited:
Hi my son 12 Advanced Jr Padi about 40 dives and myself Advanced over 200 are looking at diving in Belize in March. We will be diving again in Cozumel in December but want to try something different for March. I didn't see anything useful on Scuba Currents but would like to hear more about Tranquility bay accomodations and getting there etc. You mention the food is great but would they be able to cater to a Gluten free person?

Another potential wrinkle is my cousin and her son 14 (Gluten free) both just took their course and need to do their open water dives. Can they do this there? Or where and with whom would you recommend. One comment I have heard is the water is very choppy and they are concerned about this. We of course are not as we have dove in Lake ON at 53 degrees in choppy weather, lol

I'm not sure about the diet issue. That could be tough here. Chicken, rice and beans is the mainstay food.
Regarding choppy water there are options. San Pedro and most of the barrier reef diving is east facing, which catches the trade winds.
However, if you go to the outer atholls, Turneffe or Glovers, you can dive on the west sides of them and be in the lee of the breeze and waves. Marisol Resort is on the south end of Glovers and on Turneffe you have Turneffe Island resort, Blackbird Caye, Turneffe Flats.
I used to work at the hatchery where Tranquility Bay is. There is a deep cut there and you;re in Bacolar Chico Marine reserve. The sea does get very choppy off there when the trades are blowing. I drove a boat from San Pedro to that dock at least 400 times over the time I worked there for Nova Shrimp Farm.

So I am guessing from Peter's comments that Island Divers might also be the best place to go to to have open water check dives done for my cousin and her son. Is this correct? Or does anyone have other/better suggestions?

So I am guessing from Peter's comments that Island Divers might also be the best place to go to to have open water check dives done for my cousin and her son. Is this correct? Or does anyone have other/better suggestions?

I'll throw in another strong reccomendation for Rudy and his Island Divers shop. I've been vacation diving with him for the last 4 years. I've watched him work with some young kids and have been extremely impressed. If you're a strong diver, he'll let you do your own thing. If you need a watchful eye, he's there. I'll be headed back to his shop again this upcoming March. :42: Ken

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom