Define How Challenging is Cocos Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have done about 50+ dives all in calm seas in the Carribean: Bonaire, Utila, and San Andres. I have done a liveaboard and loved it. My husband and I want to do a big trip in 2012 and are interested in doing Cocas Island but am a little nervous as I keep reading about how challenging it is and wonder if I can handle it. I am early 50s, in good shape and small build. Here are my questions:

1. Why is it so challenging? Is it the current or depth of the dives?
2. What is April or late March like in Cocas Island? Is this a good time to go?
3. Any course recommendations to gain more confidence (assuming that is more challenging)

Thanks,
Mary

Last edited:
1. Why is it so challenging? Is it the current or depth of the dives?

It isn't an either/or proposition.

Advanced Diving is defined (by a few of us) as the cumulative impact of difficult or new situations that occur in rapid succession or simultaneously, making the final effects of each new task much greater when taken as a whole. AKA: Task Loading

There will be a likelihood of high waves, current, the need to shoot an SMB from 20fsw and hanging safely below until pick up, negative and instant descents, small boat entry back rolls and similar open water recoveries.

And anything else you can imagine... all at once.

3. Any course recommendations to gain more confidence (assuming that is more challenging)

Different modules in any Advanced Diver Courses may be of some value, but the real trick would be to get out and dive in locales that would prepare you for this. In the Caribbean, I would suggest Tobago Speyside. It's about as tough as diving gets in the Mar Caribe and has proven to be an excellent training ground for people who have their hearts set on the Galapagos~ at least in my instructional experience.

Try the Truk Odyssea or the Nai'a in Fiji. Both are top rated boats in top rated dive sites. Both offer more advanced diving but not quite as advanced as Cocos. IMO 50 dives is just not enough experience for the type of diving you would be attempting in Cocos.

Thanks so much for the responses. I think you both have convinced me that I am not ready for Cocos. I think I will expore your suggestions and investigate Figi. How is Figi in April?

I dove Cocos with two people who each had done about 40 dives - one was fine and the other ended up skipping many of the dives. I think you're right to postpone your trip as you'll enjoy it more with more experience. Prime season in Cocos is July and August but I went in April and thought it was fantastic. Here's what Cocos looks like in April:

Alcyone on Vimeo

You're in D.C. Try local diving first? Some of the boats in the Atlantic do "beginner's days" where the target wreck is 60-80ft. Just be sure to talk to them or ask here about what you need to do to prepare--it's not Caribbean diving.

You could also drive down to North Carolina, which is staggeringly beautiful diving but more challenging than the Caribbean.

Either way, talk to the boat about requirements, and perhaps hire a DM or even better get some instruction before you sign up for the boat.

Thanks so much for the responses. I think you both have convinced me that I am not ready for Cocos.

As Lee Corso would say, "Not so fast my Friend."

First off no matter what is said here, you should never do any dives/diving that you don't feel comfortable in doing. Having said that, I don't think you would have a problem at all in diving the Cocos. I was just there in August and I didn't find the diving all that difficult by any means.

I did find the diving overall to be deeper than your typical caribbean diving even though I know you can go pretty deep in the caribbean. It's just that with a lot of caribbean diving, folks can opt to stay shallow while others go deep. Several of the sites you will dive in Cocos really don't allow for that because if you stay shallow you'd just be hanging on the mooring line. But even on the deeper sites I don't think I ever went much below 100 to 110 feet. I guess maybe 90-100 was average. There are several sites that you will be able to do in the 50 to 75 ft. range and one of the best sites (Manuelita) that we did twice during the day and once at night was maybe 30-50 ft.

The currents can vary. One day we did Alcyone and there was enough current that you just needed to hold onto the line and pull yourself down. A couple of days later there was no current at all on the site. Seldom if ever do you really have to swim against a current. I have experienced just as much current in Cozumel at times as I had in Cocos. Once when the current picked up during the dive and we found ourselves starting to go against it, the DM just turned and we went with it.

I was on the Okeanous Aggressor and you do back-rolls off the panga. They have a ladder to get back on so no problems with that. I actually enjoyed diving that way. Going to some of the outer dive sites can be choppy but I wouldn't call the conditions rough by any means.

Like you I had heard how diving the Cocos was challenging and not for the beginner. After diving there I would say it's probably not going to be the first dive trip a person would want to go on after getting certified but with 50 dives under your belt and having been to several places like you have, I would be shocked if you had problems diving there. My wife was also a little nervous at first because most of her diving has been in the caribbean and it's considered "easy diving" by many. After the trip she was left wondering what all the fuss was about. She did great and was so glad she went.

So I would say go and enjoy the experience. July and August are prime time and if you're going and spending that much you want to go when it's prime season. And if you're lucky you might just see this fellow again:

My first Whale Shark - YouTube

Hi m.k.s,

Not mentioned yet are lots of long spine sea urchins that can be an issue for those who have inadequate buoyancy control/can't multi-task well and a very long and often rough trip out and back.

Regards,

DocVikingo

As suggested by Roatan Man, it is the overloading of new/difficult situations/stress factors that makes Cocos challenging. When overly stressed, a diver might tend to use up air faster, and when you consider how expensive these trips are getting to be, why not wait until you gain more experience so that you can get the most out of every breath of air. In extreme cases, an overstressed diver might panic and that could spell trouble not just for him but for those around him.

Of course you could be lucky and spend a week there, find the so-called challenges to be overhyped, and think nothing of it, as was the case with BDSC. Don't be misled by that. The thing about Cocos is that conditions can change dramatically from day to day and even from dive to dive.

I was also there in August this year. Conditions at most dive sites were about average, but there were strong currents and washing machine conditions in Manuelita Channel for 2 days that contributed to an incident on one of the other liveaboards that required evacuation. Fortunately for most of the remaining divers on that boat, another liveaboard was heading back to the mainland that afternoon and took the victim along with two Good Samaritan divers who, as doctors, chose to care for the victim while foregoing their own dive trip; otherwise, that boat would have had to lift anchor and pangas and head back, thereby ruining the trip for all.

And on a more personal level, consider also that if you were to get into trouble, a chamber and good medical attention are a good 40 hours away.

As far as best time to go, I prefer to go July-September. It is said that late March/April are good times to see baitballs. Unfortunately, the Cocos National Park has banned diving with baitballs.

And as far gaining more confidence, in my opinion, getting more dives under your belt is probably the best approach. Do Cozumel and Tobago, as suggested by Roatan Man, to get more experience diving in currents. Eventually consider doing one of the liveaboards that go out to the Revillagigedos or Socorros Islands of Mexico. It will give you a preview of the long ride out and back (24 hrs) in conditions that can be rough, and will be a good stepping stone for doing Cocos. Not to mention that the diving in the Revillagigedos Islands is pretty awesome in of itself. You are apt to experience many of the situations Roatan Man mentioned: currents, surge, rough seas, and back roll negative entries and. But not as bad.

You could also drive down to North Carolina, which is staggeringly beautiful diving but more challenging than the Caribbean.
Sorry, have to threadjack for just a minute. Living 4 hours from Wilmington, 5.5 hours from Morehead City, I have to ask, what dives are staggeringly beautiful and what does staggeringly beautiful mean to you? I was under the impression diving was difficult and mainly wreck dives. I'd love to be able to just drive down for a weekend of diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom