2 weeks of diving and exploring - Sulawesi, Komodo or somewhere else?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

f you'd have to chose between Bunaken and Bangka, what would you chose and why? Are there major differences under or over water?

Thank you so much!
Murex at Bangka have just upgraded their facilities and it's a really chilled out place to stay. Last year me and my buddy were first to use their new bungalows behind the old ones and it was magnificent as they had just opened after Covid.

You can chill on the beach and go snorkelling and shore diving at will if you skip a boat dive.

I stayed at Siladen back in 2015, they did have fresh water issues back then, which I assume should now be resolved, perhaps someone can verify this. The food at Siladen Resort was outstanding and is run by a Portuguese couple Ana and Miquel, who previously ran Lembeh Resort for a few years up until 2014.

No shore diving from Siladen though!

I would do both islands again though.

Today is my third day diving 2 dives a day with Alor Divers. The temperatures encountered are as follows:

1. Sulambali Pasar
Max 33C
Min 27C
Avg 27.5C

2. Black sand
Max 28C
Min 22C
Avg 24.8C

3. Munaseli
Max 29C
Min 26C
Avg 26.9C

4. Balakang Jetty
Max 28C
Min 24C
Avg 25.9

5. Elalara
Max 26C
Min 23C
Avg 23.2C

6. Anemone City
Max 28C
Min 22C
Avg 23.1C

I’ve hit 22C twice in 6 dives, with average water temperature below 25C in 3 if the 6 dives. Perhaps it will warm up over my remaining 2 dive days.

I only know bunaken and definitely did not find it boring but thats just me.
You are not alone.
We(x3) were bored stiffness at Lembeh but Bunaken was different story.

Today is my third day diving 2 dives a day with Alor Divers. The temperatures encountered are as follows:

1. Sulambali Pasar
Max 33C
Min 27C
Avg 27.5C

2. Black sand
Max 28C
Min 22C
Avg 24.8C

3. Munaseli
Max 29C
Min 26C
Avg 26.9C

4. Balakang Jetty
Max 28C
Min 24C
Avg 25.9

5. Elalara
Max 26C
Min 23C
Avg 23.2C

6. Anemone City
Max 28C
Min 22C
Avg 23.1C

I’ve hit 22C twice in 6 dives, with average water temperature below 25C in 3 if the 6 dives. Perhaps it will warm up over my remaining 2 dive days.
I have to ask…..how were your dives? Are you enjoying diving Alor?

I have to ask…..how were your dives? Are you enjoying diving Alor?
I’m enjoying Alor and will probably come back to see how the other resorts dive the area. eagle rays, rhinophias, ghost pipefish and other fauna on display. Even a small mola during a surface interval.

Yesterday’s dives were not memorable. Dive manager was expecting Elalara to be colder (20C) so dive staff were in 7mm wetsuits, but the thermocline didn’t materialise. What did materialise were down and up currents which were quite fun. The dive site was supposed to have large stuff but we were not lucky and didn’t see any large pelagics. I was also caught in a down current this morning at Munaseli, which Alor Divers calls Yellow Corner, but I quite like the site and might go back again tomorrow.

I was also caught in a down current this morning at Munaseli, which Alor Divers calls Yellow Corner, but I quite like the site and might go back again tomorrow.
Down 35-38m on the plateau corner, with the current... yikes... Any HH at least?

Seems this year the temps are indeed very cold, you're 2C colder on some sites than what I had last year in august (24C for Bakalang jetty!!)

I’m enjoying Alor and will probably come back to see how the other resorts dive the area. eagle rays, rhinophias, ghost pipefish and other fauna on display. Even a small mola during a surface interval.

Yesterday’s dives were not memorable. Dive manager was expecting Elalara to be colder (20C) so dive staff were in 7mm wetsuits, but the thermocline didn’t materialise. What did materialise were down and up currents which were quite fun. The dive site was supposed to have large stuff but we were not lucky and didn’t see any large pelagics. I was also caught in a down current this morning at Munaseli, which Alor Divers calls Yellow Corner, but I quite like the site and might go back again tomorrow.
Thanks for taking the time to share your experience during your holiday. We appreciate it!

HH today.
Saw a drone video of 3 orcas on AD housereef (apparently today or yesterday) : any chances?

Wow that sounds amazing. And tempting, despite the less than ideal temperature for this always freezing gal. :D Thanks for the detailed report!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom