Newbie Dive Travel Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MichaelNW

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am travelling to dive (to Belize) for the first time and I wonder what dive gear to take with me. Is renting the way to go? The whole outfit minus tanks seems like a heavy weight to haul. Advice? I want to be safe.

Michael

Do you own a BC, regulator and wetsuit? I'm assuming that you are planning on taking your mask and fins, right? Those are personal items which need to fit exactly right, and usually aren't rented. Bring a snorkel too, even if you don't dive with it. Need to do something just before you fly home, right? :)

I fly with all my gear (except tanks and weights) because I have put a good deal of time into setting things up exactly like I want them (backplate, wing, etc..) and I take good care of my regulator (recommended service, rinsing, etc..). Some people use light "travel" versions of their home equipment to save weight when flying - I don't do that.

However, if you don't have these things now, I wouldn't necessarily buy them just because you are going on a trip. Sure, if you plan on diving a lot it makes sense, but it looks like you are fairly early on in your diving career, so you might not want to make a big investment before your first dive trip. Also, remember, if you buy a regulator, you are now responsible for regular maintenance...

Hopefully, you will be diving with a reputable dive shop who will provide a good quality BC and regulator, and possibly a dive computer.

Have fun! I hear Belize is terrific...

Mike

What dive shop/dive op will you be utilizing in Belize?

If you advise the Forum of this critical piece of information, likely someone here will have specific knowledge of the quality and character of rental gear that they provide. I have "five of everything", but depending upon which commercial dive operation I am going to use, sometimes I bring a full set, other places- not so much. There is nothing wrong with properly maintained rental gear... especially in these days of airline restrictions.

OK to help transition you out of newbiedom; don't refer to your dive gear as an outfit. There really isn't any sport where MEN refer to their GEAR as an outfit. I'm guessing you didn't play high school football, but if you did, what do you think your teammates would say if you pointed at your pads and said ," I don't want to bring my whole outfit, it's heavy". Just a point of reference for you.

Now, to actually contribute something helpful. Bring everything you need diving, minus tanks, and weights. Those are the two heavy things. Your gear won't be too bad without it, especially warm water. Tanks aren't practical to bring, and your dive operator has weights that work and that they'll give you free.

If you have your own proper fitting and well maintained gear, I recommend taking it minus the tanks and weights. There is nothing worse than taking a dive vacation that you have spent a lot of money for and having rental gear that does not fit properly. You also can't be sure how well it has been maintained. IMHO, if I am going to be responsible for my own safety, that includes keeping my gear well maintained. I have spent a lot of time and money making sure my gear is right for me and properly maintained. Most airlines still allow I free checked bag less than 50 lbs and all my gear comes in under that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom