Greece diving tips and advices. Need your help!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

F1ndler

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello,
My friends and I are planning a sailing trip in Greece in September, this will include diving also. We’ll be sailing from Lavrion towards south-east islands, there is no specific plan because our points of destination will depend on weather conditions.
So, my question is:
Can anyone recommend good diving spots, reliable scuba rental shops (yoke or DIN) and some useful tips that could keep us from troubles?
Thank you very much for your input; it is highly appreciated.

Hi there
Being myself Greek, sailor and diver I find your plan very promising ! Weather conditions in September are very favourable, both for sailing (winds are moderate) and diving (the water is pretty warm and visibility is good).
Regarding your question, you should know that nowadays there is at least one decent diving centre in practically every island you will sail to. Here is a list of some of the islands on your way from Lavrio towards S-SE, with the respective diving clubs that I can personally recommend.
Kea (www.keadivers.com)
Kythnos (www.aquakythnos.gr)
Serifos (www.serifosscubadivers.gr)
Sifnos (GreekDive.gr | A diving Adventure in Greece)
Milos (www.milosdiving.gr)
Andros (www.scubandros.gr)
Syros (swdivers-syros.gr)
Paros (there are quite a few)
Naxos (Naxos Diving - Welcome to Naxos Diving)
Santorini (Greece Diving Santorini Scuba Diving Greece Aegean Divers)
Most of these guys (but NOT all) will probably rent you diving equipment. You need to check with them. However, I strongly recommend that rather than renting stuff, carrying it to your sailboat and doing your own diving, join these guys and go diving with them. They will typically go out diving once or twice a day on their RIBs, they will provide all the necessary equipment (so you won’t need to carry anything) and most of all, they will take you right on the best diving spots of the area. Also, from my experience, RIBs will usually go to places that large sailing boats have difficulty to reach in a safe manner.
Let me know if you need any help
Vassilis

Wow, a ton of usefull information. Thank you very much Vassilis. From your own experience, do diving shops in Greece provide tanks for yoke or DIN regulators or both? We all have yokes.

All tanks in Greece are both DIN and Yoke i.e. the central part of the valve can be removed to accomodate DIN regulators (see below). Tanks in diving centers are mostly steel / 12 liters capacity @ 230 bar. Plain air is our standard breathing gaz. Nitrox is available but not everywhere.

DIN_insert.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom