Small Compressor Options?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mohave_steve

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello All,

I would like to be able to fill my own tanks but even the $2k compressors are beyond my budget. Are there any options out there for a much smaller compressor?
I don't mind if it takes 10-12 hours to fill an AL80. As long as I can fill 6 - 80's Monday-Friday and have them available to dive on Saturday.

Something as small as .5cfm @3500 would fill an 80 in less than three hours.

I am quite handy and could assemble my own if I could find a suitable compressor.

Any tips?

Thanks

Steve

It might be too late for this round but Stewart Warner compressors show up regularly on EBay. These pump 3.5 cfm/3500 psi. A new conversion sometimes goes for 800-1500 bucks. One thing, often they don't include a final filter but one can be fabricated by converting a stainless steel aircraft hydraulic accumulator. Also, about one a month, a Cornelius goes on auction for less. Bargain Marge buys these from the govt for $100 + transportation and sells for $900 plus.
Stewart Warner compressor, Magazine Back Issues, Cars Trucks items on eBay.com

You get what you pay for! The smallest modern compressors, rated to 5000 psi, require a minimum of 2 hp electric motor to drive it. Yes you can buy machines that are out of production, but what do you do when it breaks down? If you can get your hands on a Bauer U-10, grab it! If you want a new machine, the Junior II is your best bet. Although the filtration is lacking, there is no better mechanically sound machine, period. Save your money, you won't be sorry, IMHO!

Craig

joeblowsport.jpg

Oh.. and the Junior is a sweet little compressor as well.... :)

There is alot of them for sell, google and other search engines, craigslist.

Like mentioned above you will have a better dive with a new one, pump your aluiminum up to 3500 have more bottom time or end your dive at 1200-1000 less time on filters and run time for maintenance, start collecting tanks, get a trans fill whip you can fast fill in minutes and then top off with compressor, then when have time fill your extra tanks.

your diving and filling possibilities are endless with a new one, goodluck.

Steve, I get it. You don't have much money. If you get a good, surplus compressor, it will last years. By then, if you are still diving a new compressor may be in your budget.

There are two types of owner, those with money or credit facility and those with resourcefulness to learn the ropes of getting components at the right cost and assembling those into a compressor assembly. Often, there is someone in between or in the process of becoming one or the other.

Keep looking. If you buy a Korean made compressor as is on EBay right now there could be a problem which is difficult to solve if parts are hard to find. Bristol was a big name in the US until the owner of American Bristol retired. Try getting help with one now. So much for buying new. The same thing applies to military surplus. However, protecair does carry some parts for many surplus compressors. Also, shop manuals, written in great detail, are available from various sources. Often, here on this board, one hears from someone trying to get a lead on a manual for a Bauer Purus or similar. This is not the case for military manuals. One can get them readily.

If you sign on to govtliquidation.com there is an opportunity to buy surplus machines, low hours or even new, for pennies on the dollar.

Like pescador says check online at Government Surplus Auctions at Government Liquidation an old Stewart Warner flame thrower compressor sold there just last week at a military base about 20 miles from me for under $500, I was going to bid on it if it sold cheap, at least I was thinking about it. Also check ebay often this is the time of year to find deals, that is where I bought my Bauer Purus a few years ago for $250, of course I had to drive 750 miles each way to pick it up, and have spent another $700 on it changing out the 3 phase electric motor, and upgrading filtration. Also be aware that small (under 6-9 cfm) stationary compressor often sell for less than the lighter weight portables, these units are usualy small enough to run off single phase 220V electricity, and have the benefit of being designed for constant operation unlike the portables that must cool down every few tank fills. Another option is asking around at smaller local fire departments, there are a lot of smaller fire departments out there trading in their often lightly used well maintained 20-30 year old Bauers that pump to 3400-4500 psi for newer higher pressure 6000+psi system to work with the newer high pressure air packs.

Ike

p.s. For the most Bauer compressors parts availabiltiy is still good, although some parts may be expensive, for example I have been quoted over $300 for a plastic fan shroud for my 30 year old Purus.

Bauer is like Volvo Penta, charging astronomical prices for parts. Profit center, ugh. Another term is extortion.

A few months ago, a depot in Kentucky sold about 50 of those SW compressors, complete, brand new, for about 100-125 bucks each. I mean, a lot of four went for $200 plus fees and taxes.

There are a few interesting compressors currently listed on govliquidation, there are a pair of mid size portable Bauers in in VA (Capitano/Mariner?) they are listed as model P1 which of course is the filter stack and not the compressor. There are also some interesting 3500 psi trailer mounted Davey compressors, a rough looking on in GA and a couple in AK at least, unlike the typical Daveys that so often go on govliquidation these are smaller and are powered by a 15hp 3 phase electric motor. Assorted 15 cfm diesel Daveys, and for some lucky guy in VA there is even a Haskel gas booster that is poorly listed (description claims to be gasoline powered)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom