3.5 cfm S/W Alfter Compressor Uddate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I am looking to contact Gunnar Alfter if anyone has an update on his whereabouts. All his old numbers do not work.

I have one of his Honda/Stewart-Warner portable dive compressors. It is the finest one we have ever had. For the last 17 years and hundreds of hours (3 80's an hour) it has worked flawlessly. Every couple years I would go to see Gunnar and he would service my unit, make everything perfect and make sure I had enough materials to last at least a year, then have coffee while he berated my care of "his" compressor.

If not, I need to replace Gunnar's proprietary purifier/filter stack with some suitable replacement package. Does anyone have a suggestion.

Also what is the current recommendation for compressor oil? Gunnar would only let me use the food grade oil he wanted in the compressor unit.

I am going to replace the 5.5 Honda with a new one and I think this thing will run for another 15 years. This is an ultra light, direct drive package that I can carry on to my boat.

Any help would be appreciated, especially If I can find Gunnar.

<<diamondback>>#

PM sent

The secondary filter which is bracketed horizontally under the engine can be replaced with a generic item such as available from Shelden Sporting Goods. If the plastic ctg has cracked, a new one can be fabricated. Chemical media can be purchased from Compressed Air Specialties. Several oils are available. Gunnar can supply Mobil JET II, Brayco 885 or other oil suitable for this compressor. However, if a food grade oil is needed I can supply or contact NUVAIR. The coalescer should be considered for replacement if it has more than 5000 hours. This is a military item. Entire parts suite can be purchased on govliquidation.com consisting of a trailer mounted 4 cfm SW compressor. These are the same used to build up your portable unit. Three new, NOS trailers were recently up for auction. However, it sounds like all your unit needs is a little TLC. Consult Gunnar about the Honda replacement. Some tweaking of the engine shaft may be necessary.

4310 - Compressors and Vacuum Pumps at Government Liquidation

Last edited:
Diamondback. Gunnar is a gem I have known him for 30plus years and he really knows what he is doing. I have a filter system made from new "York accumulators" which is repackable and easy to service. Look at my web site- sheldensportinggoods.com -it is near the bottom of the site. If you need a number for Gunnar - send me a private email and I'll help you

Did Gunnar live in the Houston, Texas area about 20 years ago and drive a Chevy/GMC truck with about 400,000 miles on it by chance?

I am looking to contact Gunnar Alfter if anyone has an update on his whereabouts. All his old numbers do not work.

I have one of his Honda/Stewart-Warner portable dive compressors. It is the finest one we have ever had. For the last 17 years and hundreds of hours (3 80's an hour) it has worked flawlessly. Every couple years I would go to see Gunnar and he would service my unit, make everything perfect and make sure I had enough materials to last at least a year, then have coffee while he berated my care of "his" compressor.

If not, I need to replace Gunnar's proprietary purifier/filter stack with some suitable replacement package. Does anyone have a suggestion.

Also what is the current recommendation for compressor oil? Gunnar would only let me use the food grade oil he wanted in the compressor unit.

I am going to replace the 5.5 Honda with a new one and I think this thing will run for another 15 years. This is an ultra light, direct drive package that I can carry on to my boat.

Any help would be appreciated, especially If I can find Gunnar.

<<diamondback>>#
Hi, Gunnar is a good fiend of mine, send me your phone # or email address and I'll get it to him.

Ciao,
Jon Bradley
ThePlayer@roadrunner.com

Jon,

I am very familiar with Gunnar's compressors as we have been friends and business associates for over 30 years. Gunnar is not doing any work anymore, but if you will send me a couple of pictures of the unit you have , I can help replace the items you need from my stock. My web site is sheldensportinggoods.com and my personal email is jlshelden@sbcglobal.net.
Jim Shelden
316-992-0505

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom