WTB portable scuba compressor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ALAN243

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Well after much deliberation over running a long fill line down to the dock i have decided to just buy a small portable compressor... Want something in the 3-7cfm range gas motor. Would be willing to trade my mako for it.

I am also willing to sell my mako or purchase a portable outright

Alan, Check my web site <sheldensportinggoods.com> About half way down you will see a gas driven 4 cfm compressor that delivers Grade E air to pressures of 3500 (4500psi if needed)
Jim Shelden

I am a regulator tech looking for a small 110V (Household Current) compressor system w/ storage capability for use with a regulator test bench, drying regulator parts, and for filling my personal tanks. I took a look at your website and am not sure I need something with as much capacity and the prices shock me when compared to a regular run-of-the-mill portable air compressor used for running automotive type air tools. I know that these are specialty compressors and the prices on your site are probably very good for those you have listed, but am wondering if there are even cheaper alternatives for the application I am looking to use a compressor in. Could you recommend any alternatives?

Unless you are looking at something like a used portable expect to spend 3000-5000 dollars on a compressor. Then add in storage bottles, whip, and fittings and you could easily run another 2-3 grand. Even the best prices I've seen on used ones run min 1500 and they look like they need some work. I've been looking myself. A compressor that pumps 3500psi plus is not like the garage compressors to power air tools which need a max of what-150 psi. In addition there are filters and condensate drains to think of. You would also not be using it to fill your own tanks and drying parts for regs. You would not use shop air as I call it to dry parts where there is a chance of introducing contaminants like oil or other dirt into a reg body. Especially if it were to be used with high O2 mixes.

It's the difference between a motorcycle which can do 70 mph and one which can do 240. They look sort of similar, but everything on the fast one has to be that much better, stronger, and more precise, from the tires up. I suspect that if there was a big enough demand here for HP breathing air compressors that every Home Depot would order a hundred or so, that the price would come down a bit, but it would never be as low as for an LP compressor. And the few attempts there have been to build cheaper HP compressors, witness the Alkin and the Nardi, have not been a great success!

So either you spend $2500-3500 for a Coltri MCH6 or Bauer Jr, or you haunt ebay and Craigslist looking for a deal and maybe pick up something for $1000 or so.

BTW, if you could find a cheap HP compressor not made specifically for breathing air, say a military surplus flame thrower job like the Kidde, you'd still end up spending another $600-1200 to add adequate filtration!

I am a regulator tech looking for a small 110V (Household Current) compressor system w/ storage capability for use with a regulator test bench, drying regulator parts, and for filling my personal tanks. I took a look at your website and am not sure I need something with as much capacity and the prices shock me when compared to a regular run-of-the-mill portable air compressor used for running automotive type air tools. I know that these are specialty compressors and the prices on your site are probably very good for those you have listed, but am wondering if there are even cheaper alternatives for the application I am looking to use a compressor in. Could you recommend any alternatives?

Vance, good analogy. I love your book by the way. I live right down the street from an outfit named NUVAIR who deals in Coltri compressors and parts so, I sent them an e-mail to ask for a quote. I read plenty of posts last night about some of the cheaper compressors and don't want to live those poor guy's nightmares. I have been a mechanic for 25 years and have worked on some HP comnpressors, just not any that produce grade "E" breathing air. I wished that there was a book available on the subject of bulding breathing air systems to get an idea of my options. I know that it will more than likely set me back around 6K, but if I know exactly what I need from the get go I can avoid things that I don't absolutely need.

Jim,
Thanks for the reply. I know that it is a no-no to use an automotive compressor for anything scuba related. I was just using that as a frame of reference for prices. I however, didn't really think about the HP part and the additional strength needed to squeeze that kind of pressure. There is a hell of a difference between 130 psi when compared 3500 psi. Let me know if you find anything.

Alan,

I know you had sticker shock from the compressor prices on my web site but if you will look at other models and and compare price and delivered air volume and quality -- I am very competitive. That said - I am building a small unit currently that will deliver 2.0 cfm up to 4500psi (in fact I had it running last evening on the test bench and shut it off at 5800psi)
This unit with a small storage system which I also show on my web sit will sell for less than $1800 and includes a fill whip for scuba. Picture are shown on yahoo site Compressor_Team under Jim shelden 2.0 compressor conversion. This is a kidde compressor (surplus, that has 27. hours total run time) and I have mounted a 2 hp electric motor which will run with 115 vt house current. Pictures are not on my web site yet, as I have not completed the filter system or belt guards for safety.
Frogman62
Jim Shelden
316-992-0505

Back
Top Bottom