Trouble with Haskel booster pump

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mpement

New
Reaction score
# of dives
I own two Haskel MSB-9000 mini oxygen booster pumps.

The first I've used without any problems for many years and love it.

The second I bought new and have not been able to get it to work correctly. I set it up exactly like my original pump to run off scuba air drive. When I get everything plugged in and begin to fill the gas flows from the supply to the fill cylinder as expected until they equalize. Then I open the supply needle valve fully and open the drive cylinder valve (partially) in order to activate the pump. Then things go wrong.

The pump begins to pressurize on the drive side untill it reaches a point where it releases pressure through the spring activated relief port on the drive side without activating the normal operation of the pump on the supply side. Then the drive side "refills" and again blows off pressure over and over without ever boosting the supply gas into the fill cylinder.

I bought this pump from a supplier on-line and brought it to The Caribbean where I (foolishly) thought it would just work correctly. I've tried to SKYPE the Haskel contact in California without getting anyone to answer the phone, and have tried to leave messages there with my email contact information, as well as trying to email them direcly with no reply.

I believe the fix must be something easy and obvious but I've tried everything I can think of with no luck. My "old" pump work flawlessly with an IP on the drive gas of anywhere from 130PSI to 160PSI. I currently have the IP in the 140 range, and as I said, the problem is simply that the pump won't cycle. Any suggestions?

Odd that they didn't answer. Normally they are pretty good about getting back on calls. Give your original supplier a call as well. They made the profit for selling it to you so they should be willing to help you get the right answer.

This is Airworks. We are checking to see if anyone took a call, got an email or was otherwise contacted with a question on the mentioned Haskel booster. We can be contacted at sales@americanairworks.com or by calling 304-683-4595 in WV. We can field the question whether we sold it or not. Units should have warranty of 1 year from date of purchase in new.

---------- Post added December 9th, 2013 at 01:24 PM ----------

This is Airworks. We are checking to see if anyone took a call, got an email or was otherwise contacted with a question on the mentioned Haskel booster. We can be contacted at sales@americanairworks.com or by calling 304-683-4595 in WV. We can field the question whether we sold it or not. Units should have warranty of 1 year from date of purchase in new.

Our technician remembers taking a call from a diver on a dive boat in the Bahamas. He said an adjustment to the exhaust gas muffler was suggested. As it can act like a "Jake Brake" in booster operations. He reports that diver didn't call us back. Our assumption was that our suggested action may have resolved the problem.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom