Water from Rix SA-6 1st stage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

maniago

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
While pulling apart my SA-6 for rebuild, I had a rusted and frozen 2nd AL stage head. SOB to get apart. Along the way, I scored another StainlessSteel 2nd stage head. It wasn't as bad, but clearly rust forming. That lead me to believe that the 1st stage was making water - which its not supposed to, given temps and pressures in the 1st stage.

That said, I also scored two used Rix coalscers and put one on the first stage as a test. The atched pic is pretty telling: a respectable load of water out of the 1st stage - more than my big IR shop compressor does. This being winter air with maybe 25% humidity at 45F in my garage.

The pic is after 20min running time off the 1st stage coalescer - maybe a teaspoon total. I think I'll keep the coalescer where it is.

Attachments

• IMG_6196.jpg
    IMG_6196.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 144
Our ~12cfm Bauer, the 1st stage coalescer generates about 1 oz of water per 20-40 minutes in this weather.

During the summer, it's about 1 oz of water per 5-10 minutes.

Extra filtration NEVER hurts. Better too much than too little. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom