DSS mounts for computer and compass

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Biodiversity_guy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I recently purchased Deep Sea Supply's wrist mounts for a Suunto compass and computer. Does anyone have pictures of how they rigged theirs? What knots did you use? Diameter of bungie cord? I have some cord but it seems too thick for the holes, unless I am missing something.

Thanks all in advance.

Just use some small bungie cord and some square knots. Worked great for me.

Hmm... pretty sure that I used 3/16" bungee. Run it thru the holes and use a simple overhand knot. Pull the knot tight and it won't slip... although I did have one rip the plastic on one of my mounts (maybe Perrone's way of doing it might prevent that.) I'm not near my gear right now so I can't put up any pics. sorry.

I have the DSS mount for my Suunto SK-7 compass. I used bungie that was pretty clearly too darn thick for the holes (looked like a perfect fit, but it was just a hair bigger than the holes, I think). Don't recall the gauge I had, tho it was one of the standard sizes, and let's just say it was not an easy fit. Took FOREVER to get them threaded. I did succeed eventually, after a wasted foot or two of bungie and a couple hours of swearing with two pairs of needle-nose pliers.

Of course, now that sucker isn't going ANYWHERE I don't want it to. :)

Biodiversity_guy:
I recently purchased Deep Sea Supply's wrist mounts for a Suunto compass and computer. Does anyone have pictures of how they rigged theirs? What knots did you use? Diameter of bungie cord? I have some cord but it seems too thick for the holes, unless I am missing something.

Thanks all in advance.

There are a few ways to do it. You can do as Perrone says and use some 3/16" bungee, with separate pieces for the left and right sides. Just put a square knot in the ends and you're all set. This has the advantage that if one bungee breaks you're not losing the compass or computer. The downside is that the 3/16" bungee has less stretch to it, so you have to have the length right on or it will be too loose or cut of your circulation on your arm.

The other way to do it is with some 1/8" bungee run in one continuous piece criss-crossing from side to side. You then tie the two ends together using a square knot. The advantage of this is that the knots are smaller so they fit better in the recess, and the bungee is more stretchy so I find it more comfortable.

I've done both. I prefer the 1/8" bungee even though it's not as secure in the event the bungee snaps. Note that not all 3/16" bungee is created equal. I bought some from West Marine (white with a black stripe) that fit very nicely in the holes with no cursing involved and have a good amount of give to it. I later bought some black 3/16" bungee from www.diveriteexpress.com that was considerably more difficult to get through the holes and was much less stretchy. I wouldn't recommend that one for the mounts.

I found that by putting the knots in loosely, and puting the unit on my arm, I could get the loop lengths just the way I wanted them. In fact, the loop that goes further up my arm is about 1.5" larger than the other one, to accomodate my forearm shape. Works great.

And I used 2 bungies because to me, one of the reasons to go with the mount is to eliminate the single point of failure of the watch band.

PerroneFord:
In fact, the loop that goes further up my arm is about 1.5" larger than the other one, to accomodate my forearm shape.

That's how I do mine,too.

PerroneFord:
I found that by putting the knots in loosely, and puting the unit on my arm, I could get the loop lengths just the way I wanted them. In fact, the loop that goes further up my arm is about 1.5" larger than the other one, to accomodate my forearm shape. Works great.

And I used 2 bungies because to me, one of the reasons to go with the mount is to eliminate the single point of failure of the watch band.

I agree that's the better way to go. I used the single loop method this last time because I didn't have any 3/16" bungee on hand, and a square knot in 1/8" bungee isn't big enough and slides out of the hole. The different sized loops is a good tip too. I forgot to mention that. Also, on the Suunto SK7 mount, I like lacing it so it's angled on the forearm using the alternate holes. This allows me to get the compass square in front of me without having to get the elbow all the way to 90 degrees.

it did it just like the guide they sent me with a little modification. check out

http://piddlefish.servepics.com/scuba/LocationDescriptions-DSSMount.html

for pictures, but essentially I wanted it to be able to be variable size depending on if i was wearing a shorty in the Keys or a 7MM in the dead of winter.

#1 you can see the threading pattern. i also used that dang bungee that was a PITA to thread.... but worth it.

#2 you can see how it's big enough to fit over your hand or gloves or whatever

#3 you can see how it can be cinched up.... yea, yea, i know - it's not glamarous, but it works pretty good. i DO like the idea of having 2 individual straps for the "NO SINGLE POINT" issue, but i opted for this method so it would be more versatile.

when threading make sure the PULL end is AWAY from the sideview so it won't flop over and cover it over

For the computer, I got some hair ties. "Goody" was the brand name and they are made in a soild loop. I removed the spring bars and took off the plastic band and looped the bungies around the spring bars and replaced the bars. Works great, in fact, when my Gekko got run over by a car, the only things still attached were the bungies!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom