Question How to bungee strap a wrist compass

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

L2m

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
So recently I am thinking of redoing the bungee strap of my Suunto wrist-mounted compass. When coming in package the strap consists of a single loop fastened at the mount via two knots and the loop crosses over itself to form a X shape wrapping. I find it really hard to fasten it on my wrist even if I’m wearing a drysuit that increases the size of my wrist considerably - not only does it loosen up on each damn dive but using a single strap in my opinion is making a single point of failure (which is why I think the Shearwater Perdix manual recommends people how to strap their DCs; despite losing your compass and your DC comes at different risks).

May I ask how people strap their compasses and by 2024 is there any smart idea on this method?

Do a search on Sunto compass bungee boot.

While you're waiting for the numerous results to load say to yourself as many times as you can "Sunto compass bungee boot".

Bungies around each side of your arm, not across your arm, threaded through something under you arm. A piece of plastic, line cutter, slate, etc.

The BIG benefit Ive found to bungee mounting a compass is getting it off my wrist and onto the back of my hand. This keeps my hands free, makes my compass easier to access and read than even my dive computer, and eliminates another doo-dad dangling off a D ring.
IMG_3220.JPG
IMG_3221.JPG

I loop one of the bungees between my middle and ring finger to cock the window at a bit of an angle. This eliminates the need for me to hold my arm at a 90° angle to my face.

If the lubber line is a little off, i just move my wrist and boom. it's oriented properly. Directly in front of my face.
IMG_3219.JPG

So recently I am thinking of redoing the bungee strap of my Suunto wrist-mounted compass. When coming in package the strap consists of a single loop fastened at the mount via two knots and the loop crosses over itself to form a X shape wrapping. I find it really hard to fasten it on my wrist even if I’m wearing a drysuit that increases the size of my wrist considerably - not only does it loosen up on each damn dive but using a single strap in my opinion is making a single point of failure (which is why I think the Shearwater Perdix manual recommends people how to strap their DCs; despite losing your compass and your DC comes at different risks).

May I ask how people strap their compasses and by 2024 is there any smart idea on this method?
i put mind on a retractable wire so much easier.

Remember one issue with too tight bungee on forearms, some of the nitrogen will be stuck in your hand

Another plus to the back of the hand. The bungees don't have to be tight since the geometry of the bones in my hand holds it in place.
no sliding around, no slipping off my forearm down into a mess around my wrist. The compass just stays where I need it to look at it

The BIG benefit Ive found to bungee mounting a compass is getting it off my wrist and onto the back of my hand. This keeps my hands free, makes my compass easier to access and read than even my dive computer, and eliminates another doo-dad dangling off a D ring.
View attachment 825074View attachment 825075

I loop one of the bungees between my middle and ring finger to cock the window at a bit of an angle. This eliminates the need for me to hold my arm at a 90° angle to my face.

If the lubber line is a little off, i just move my wrist and boom. it's oriented properly. Directly in front of my face.
View attachment 825076
Love this! Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom