Atmos2 Battery Comp. O ring size

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

turbinetech2

Registered
Reaction score
I have an Aeris Atmos2 that had an incorrect o-ring according to my LDS. He worked on it for an hour trying to get an oring to fit correctly. I went to another LDS that is an authorized dealer for Aeris and am trying to get it fixed. I dropped it off (after hours, their was an instructor their teaching a class) and told him about the oring and needing a new battery. I called this afternoon and was told it was ready by the girl up front. When I went to pick it up, I checked the battery compartment cover and it still moved. When asked, she said that it had the correct o-ring installed according to the tech. When the correct size o-ring is installed, does the cover still move? Does anyone know the correct size o-ring for an Atmos 2 wrist mount? I thought I had it fixed and did a job for a friend on Lake Greenwood on Tuesday and noticed it had water in the batt comp again. I am supposed to dive with my son this weekend at Lake Jocassee in SC to finish up his OW. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

I changed my battery recently in my atmos 2 and the cover fits snug to tight, not loose.
If you can measure the cross section of the ring and then the OD of where the ring goes around , I could give you the size you would need. I design valves using o-rings all the time. Or I'm sure if you contacted aeris they would just tell you.

btw: many of the valves I've designed went on turbines

I'm not sure I would call it loose but it never feels fully seated each time I replace my battery. You have to be very careful in getting it positioned correctly and it will still teeter back and forth with the retaining ring installed. If you have never done it, it would give you the impression that the o-ring is too small. I was told by my LDS that this was normal and it will fully seat with pressure underwater. I've replaced my battery nearly 10 times, and although I'm nervous every time, it has never leaked.

Be sure to inspect the clear cover. My friend chased a leak and it turned out the cover was cracked.

Has anyone else notice that the Atmos2 battery indicator never shows half-charge? It is either full or blinking "dangerously low." It often switches back and forth during and after a dive. I understand that the cold could cause it to read a lower voltage but you would think that at some point, in the over 300 dives I've put on it, it would have shown a half charge.

It is unnerving to start a dive with a full charge and then have it blinking at you like it could fail at any moment during the dive. Only to show a full charge when you are home and rinsing your gear. :confused:

haven't really noticed that, mine went into a meltdown when the battery got low.

Thanks to all the quick replies. When changing the battery out the first time, I noticed that the cover tended to rock from side to side. I didn't think too much about it at the time as it was the first time that I changed the battery. After doing the pool dives with my son, I noticed that the battery low light was on the second day of pool dives after about an hour in the water. I went to the dive shop and picked up a few things including some silicone grease and came back and tried again. It seemed that I got a much better seal this time as I could not move the cover at all. Did a dive and drill job for a friend on Lake Greenwood and when I came home that night found water in the cover and compartment again :( . Thats when I took it to the dive shop and had them take a look. The first LDS I went to is my normal shop but he doesn't service Aeris PDC's. He took a look as a favor and said it was the wrong size o-ring. Took it to the approved Aeris and it seems he thinks its okay. Both time when I dove with it and it got wet, the computer seemed to work ok. Not sure that it will do as well at 60 ft as it did at 10-15. Any ideas on checking this thing before I get wet tomorrow? Thanks again for everybodys help. Dlndavid I work at the GE turbine lab here in greenville. What kind of turbines do you work on?

I used to work for Amot Controls and we designed valves fo companies like Dresser Rand, PEMEX, GAZPROM in Russia, probably GE too, it's been ten years since I worked in that industry.
I designed fuel control valve, airstarts, shutoffs.

cbfin:
Has anyone else notice that the Atmos2 battery indicator never shows half-charge? It is either full or blinking "dangerously low." It often switches back and forth during and after a dive. I understand that the cold could cause it to read a lower voltage but you would think that at some point, in the over 300 dives I've put on it, it would have shown a half charge.

It is unnerving to start a dive with a full charge and then have it blinking at you like it could fail at any moment during the dive. Only to show a full charge when you are home and rinsing your gear. :confused:

My ATMOS AI did this. My guess is that this will be normal
behavior for the dive computers because of the way low battery
detection circuits work. They usually base their battery level
on the voltage of the battery. My guess is that the LED that
blinks and audio transducer beeps that occur during powerup
and during warnings during a dive puts a fairly large load on the
battery and causes the battery level to droop (dip, go lower).
This momentary lower voltage will appear to the low battery
dectection circuit as a low battery.

I consider it to be early low battery warning.

When I saw this on mine, I simply replaced the battery
and it cleared up the low battery indications.
CR2450 batteries are only about $2-$3 and it only took about a
minute to do.

-------------------------------------------
On the O-ring. Aeris sells a kit that includes an o-ring, battery
and some silicon grease. If that doesn't work, perhaps there is
something wrong with your case, or cover.
Perhaps it got cross threaded at one point?

--- bill

Back
Top Bottom