SUUNTO VYPER 2 Review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dschonbrun

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Bought a SUUNTO Vyper 2 while in the Caymans last week.

Here are my thoughts after using it:

PRO's:
1. 4 button operation is pretty easy and intuitive. Once you update the initial settings, little needs to be changed other than the nitrox % for enriched diving.
2. Large digits are super, very easy to read. Visual graph of dive depth is nice.
3. Simulated dives based on current pressure group also a nice function. Deep dive rest stops are good for those of us who dive deeper than 30m.
4. Logs/History is easy to review and understand. Optional interface is a nice feature, though I haven't used the software yet.
5. Ascent rate, Dive Stops, and variety of timing and depth markers all easy to identify and helpful.
6. Alarm options are numerous and easy to use.
7. Integrated compass has the ability to set a bearing and find 90 and 120 degree references.. especially helpful for Search and rescue.

Issues/Cons:
1. Backlighting function requires depressing mode key for 3-5 seconds.... easy to change mode accidentally. Can be a bit challenging at night (initially) until you have had some practice.
2. Compass mode requires some getting used to as there is no lubber-line. Visual cues from the rubber button covers and SUUNTO arrow at top are helpful.
3. Height/thickness designed to comply with optional air pressure gauge boot. Fairly thick computer, could certainly be thinner and have a shim for pressure gauge integrated boot.
4. The plastic cover limits viewing angle a bit, especially due to the cutouts. It's a minor issue.
5. User manual could be more user friendly.
6. No facility to update the computer's software.

Overall... a very solid computer with simulation, multiple pieces of data, night diving capability, altitude, temperature and diver ability/fitness compensation, Nitrox integration for 3 mixes in a single dive (Air plus 2 Nitrox). It is very easy to read and adjust, and offers the ability to change the conservatism of the bubble models to suit diver comfort. Vyper 2 provides both Partial Pressure and OLF% values to provide visibility to absorption levels [I really appreciate this as am interested in live-on-board's]. Usability is high with integrated compass, though leveling angles are tightly restricted... +/- 5 degrees. I like the width and size of numbers, but find the thickness of the unit could be markedly reduced.

The lack of air integration is a personal choice. Having manual gauges as a backup in case the battery runs out is a necessity... therefore chose not to spend the extra 250-500$ on air integration. Also, looking down from time to time keeps me sharp, and forces me to query my buddy/students to communicate their remaining tank pressure.

Have been looking at getting this computer, and contrasting it vs. the Vytec, in particular because the literature (Suunto's website) consistently states that Vyper2 can handle 2 gases, and Vytec can handle 3.

From what I see, I like the Vyper2 more (better screen, four buttons, plus it's got the compass), but the 2-gases thing was a concern because when I do deco, I usually have 3 gases -- a bottom gas (usually air), then a travel gas, then a deco gas (usually O2), so wondered why Suunto stopped at 2 gases.

But from your post, it seems like it can handle 3. I use a Vyper and can't switch from air to nitrox and vice versa in between dives and definitely not during a dive, so I keep the Vyper on EANx 21%. How does the Vyper2 handle the 3 gases -- can you switch during the dive from air to mix 1, and to mix 2, and back again?

Thanks!

... Vyper2 can handle 2 gases, and Vytec can handle 3
That is true, in reality!
can you switch during the dive from air to mix 1, and to mix 2, and back again?
No! It will allow you to select air OR nitrox dive modes. Like the Vyper, you cannot switch modes. Nitrox mode only allows 2 mixes, and you cannot go back to air during a dive - or for some time after. The only option to return to air diving (for a repetetive dive) is to set one of the nitrox mixes to 21% O2, and maybe turn the other one off. It does allow gas switching (in nitrox mode) during a dive, but only where its calculations will allow the new mix to be feasible. Hope that makes sense.

I too find it a mystery that they stopped at 2 mixes. The manual even says that you can
Vyper2 manual:
SCROLL THROUGH ENABLED MIXES BY PRESSING THE UP OR DOWN BUTTONS
when you gas switch (which kind of implies that there are more than 2!).

Im also trying to decide between the Vytec and the Vyper2, I was advised by a friend to get the Vytec because of the ability to switch gasses whilst diving.
I understand that this is an important feature for deco diving, but I am only at the level of Rescue Diver, so I have a long way to go before deco diving.
Do you think it would be worth it to get the Vytec now, even though it might be quite a long time until I use it?

Also...am I making the right choice in choosing the Vytec over the Vyper2?
Hope you can help...

Im also trying to decide between the Vytec and the Vyper2, I was advised by a friend to get the Vytec because of the ability to switch gasses whilst diving.
I understand that this is an important feature for deco diving, but I am only at the level of Rescue Diver, so I have a long way to go before deco diving.
Do you think it would be worth it to get the Vytec now, even though it might be quite a long time until I use it?

Also...am I making the right choice in choosing the Vytec over the Vyper2?
Hope you can help...

I would say stick with the Vyper, although having the ability to switch gasses while diving is nice, in reality when you reach that stage of the game, you will be using the computer as a bottom timer and diving tables. I could be wrong, but I have yet to see an agency such as GUE, UTD, or the like train using a computer. The rely very heavily on tables. The only reason why I would say choose the Vytec over the Vyper would be if you wanted integrated air in which case you may look at the newer Vyper Air. For those divers that do use computers for tech diving, most use computers such as LiquidVision, Cochran, VR, or something similar.

I was looking at the Vyper2 myself but the size of the screen was an issue for me. With the compass in view I feel the other information is far to small. Also, two people I have spoken to about thier Suunto's have told me of losing connection sometimes with thier Air transmitor whilst underwater and would not reconnect till they surfaced.
In the end I went for the Galileo Luna.
:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom