Atom 2.0 vs Suunto D9

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MBrady

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello,
I am looking for some advice regarding the Atom 2.0 and the Suunto D9. I find myslef in a postion to splash out (pun intended) on a new dive computer and I decided that I wanted to go wireless.

I've narrowed it down to either the Atom 2.0 or the D9, but that's as far as I got. The Atom has a user replaceable battery and is cheaper, whereas the D9 has a built in compass. I have never used a wireless dive computer before so I would appreicate any advice or experiences that anyone may have with either item.

Of course, I am also open to any other computer suggestions.

And if anyone lives in Guam, I'll be back from Iraq in...8 days!!!!!!!

if you don't bother to use it as day watch; uwatec SOL is a good option as well

I was kind of hoping to use it as a day watch too. Should of mentioned that. I ma gearing towards the Atom, just because it has a user replaceable battery. I would of thought that was a common sense thing when designing a computer.

why not wait for the new Oceanic DC1 :D

why not wait for the new Oceanic DC1 :D

That is the route I would go as well, but I am guessing it will be more $$$ than the Atom.

BUT if you have to choose - go with the Atom, had the 1.0 and liked it...heck I have had several Oceanic computers, and IMO they are the way to go.

Reports on the Suunto's compass are not very favorable.
As you state the Atom 2.0 has an user replaceable battery.
I own the Atom 2.0 myself and am happy with it.
This is just my own opinion but... I wouldn't wear a dive computer as a everyday watch.
I do wear mine as such while on vacations that I am diving but my thought is that wearing it more often increases the risk that it will be damaged and fail when it is needed during a dive.

Can't speak for the Atom but I own a D9. My quick thoughts:

Good things: very reliable, gas switching, multi functional, looks good, just about small enough to use as a day watch (although I don't), good battery life.

Bad things: counter intuitive menu, bit "fiddly" scrolling the display to the data you want (esp with gloves on), small display.

Neutral: conservative algorithm (I hate it, others love it), compass (not the best compass in the world, but a useful backup).

Initially I didn't like it as much, but it has grown on me. I found the algorithm annoying when I just used to do no-decompression diving (it has shorter NDLs than most other computers), but moving to tec - it produces almost exactly the same deco profiles as much more expensive trimix computers that my friends use, so I have a slightly new found respect for it in that light.

I can't say anything about the suunto one way or the other, but i owned an Atom 2.0 for about 50 dives. Had some issues:

1. i didn't like having to add an extra wrist band onto it to wear it with a 7mm wetsuit--which i wear on every dive here in california. The extra band was a pain to keep track of and a major pain to try and buckle or un-buckle while wearing gloves because it was basically a just watch band.
2. The thing looks like a hockey puck on your wrist and is a little expensive and over-qualified to be used as a time piece.
3. The glass lens, while pretty tough, did get a couple of good scratches on it (lobster diving) and eventually a couple more of those scratches would have reduced my ability to see the screen.
4. I changed the battery, and was kind of scared to discover that all that separated the ocean from the innards of the computer is an o-ring about the thickness of a piece of thread. On top of that, the battery compartment cover was just a thin plastic cap that sealed with a quarter twist and didnt feel solidly seated even right out of the box.
5. It broke. The microscopic o-ring, which i replaced along with the battery, eventually failed. Sea water entered the battery compartment, and the battery leaked acidic goo all over the unprotected circuit board.

While i hear oceanic is good about honoring warranties, i wasnt impressed enough with the physical design of the computer to want another one. Also, i decided that i dont like wearing a giant black rubber thing on my wrist that looks like a $10 watch but is actually a $600 computer. And since i didnt really need it to be a watch, i didnt really need the screen to be small and hard to read in low light either. In the end i decided that i didnt really need my dive computer to be anything else but a dive computer. So now i have a wrist computer that is sealed, still wireless, and has a nice big screen with all the info i want all at once and a replaceable cover to protect the screen.

Hope thats helpful, i dont want to rain on your parade but i think i could have done better if i had known this when i bought my Atom 2.0

I can't say anything about the suunto one way or the other, but i owned an Atom 2.0 for about 50 dives. Had some issues:

1. i didn't like having to add an extra wrist band onto it to wear it with a 7mm wetsuit--which i wear on every dive here in california. The extra band was a pain to keep track of and a major pain to try and buckle or un-buckle while wearing gloves because it was basically a just watch band.
2. The thing looks like a hockey puck on your wrist and is a little expensive and over-qualified to be used as a time piece.
3. The glass lens, while pretty tough, did get a couple of good scratches on it (lobster diving) and eventually a couple more of those scratches would have reduced my ability to see the screen.
4. I changed the battery, and was kind of scared to discover that all that separated the ocean from the innards of the computer is an o-ring about the thickness of a piece of thread. On top of that, the battery compartment cover was just a thin plastic cap that sealed with a quarter twist and didnt feel solidly seated even right out of the box.
5. It broke. The microscopic o-ring, which i replaced along with the battery, eventually failed. Sea water entered the battery compartment, and the battery leaked acidic goo all over the unprotected circuit board.

While i hear oceanic is good about honoring warranties, i wasnt impressed enough with the physical design of the computer to want another one. Also, i decided that i dont like wearing a giant black rubber thing on my wrist that looks like a $10 watch but is actually a $600 computer. And since i didnt really need it to be a watch, i didnt really need the screen to be small and hard to read in low light either. In the end i decided that i didnt really need my dive computer to be anything else but a dive computer. So now i have a wrist computer that is sealed, still wireless, and has a nice big screen with all the info i want all at once and a replaceable cover to protect the screen.

Hope thats helpful, i dont want to rain on your parade but i think i could have done better if i had known this when i bought my Atom 2.0

1. When you purchase a wristwatch/dive computer what did you expect 2 different way to wear it? The band extension works fine just put the thing on before you put on your gloves.
2. It's design is that of a Sports watch. I like Casio G Shock watches also to each his/her own as for taste or style.
3. The computer comes with a thin replaceable lens protector for protection on the surface. It also comes with a heavy clear protector that goes over the face and buttons for use underwater. This cover actually makes it a bit easier to press buttons with gloves on.
4. Obviously you are not an engineer or tech with knowledge of o-ring seals. Properly engineered sealing surfaces depend of limiting the motion during the seating. The fact that the cover seals with less than 1/4 turn saves wear on the o-ring. Since the wear is limited a o-ring with a larger cross section isn't needed as long as the tolerances of the housing and cover are tight.
5. The o-ring is a maintenace part and should be replaced with the battery. If not replacing the o-ring at the very least it should be cleaned, inspected under magnification, lubricated and reinstalled with a great deal of care to not allow any dirt or debris onto the o-ring or the seating areas of the computer or cover.

The O-ring that seals the back of my 200m rated Casio G Shock is no thicker but the cover requires 4 small screws torqued to a specific value so the piezo alarm can sound. Oh and the Casio is 10 years old and is still water tite after a battery replacement 3 years ago.
No matter how well designed something is you can't account user error.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom