Suunto Gekko incident

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lealscuba40

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
HI there, I bought this Suunto Gekko with only 23 dives in very good shape from a friend of mine. After 15 or 20 dives the computer simply went "crazy". Turn it on and the depth sensor starts to pick up a signal from I don't know where and starts "descending" to incredible limits (80-90 m). I've done almost everything, but nothing seems to fix the problem. Has anyone faced this kind of problems with this computers before? I don't know what to do appart from buying a new computer.
Thanks
Luis

I have a Gekko; no problems so far. I've never heard of the problem you describe. Does it have a fresh battery? If replacing the battery doesn't help, all I can think to do is soak it in fresh water for a few days; maybe there's dried salt on the sensor. Good luck!

HI there, I bought this Suunto Gekko with only 23 dives in very good shape from a friend of mine. After 15 or 20 dives the computer simply went "crazy". Turn it on and the depth sensor starts to pick up a signal from I don't know where and starts "descending" to incredible limits (80-90 m). I've done almost everything, but nothing seems to fix the problem. Has anyone faced this kind of problems with this computers before? I don't know what to do appart from buying a new computer.
Thanks
Luis

If you're lucky it might, as sambolino44 says, be salt buildup. As suggested, leave the computer in fresh water for a few days. I've found that warm water works better, too. Failing that, take it to a Suunto dealer and Suunto may be able to fix it.

On the other hand, I had a Suunto D9 that kept going off on crazy 'dives' on its own. I sent it back to Suunto twice, they replaced the circuits twice, it's now a really expensive paperweight...

Yep!! there's a fresh battery in it...I thought of doing what U say, but I thought depth sensors will pick up their signal from pressure and I didn't pay too much attention to the static of salt. I'll start with your system tomorrow and I'll let U know...
Some crazy divers friends I have asked me to soak it in vinegar to remove particles....I laughed, but right now...who knows..jajajajajaj
Thanks
Luis

Thanks GrimSleeper!!!! I'll keep my fingers crossed.....just in case. I've never heard of using warm water, but surely I'll try it. Speaking bout D9's a guy I know recently pulled his D9 out of the ocean full of water inside......end of the story....dealer told him the expenses to fix it will be 200 Euros more (add that to the price he paid for it). So, I use that as a consolation prize in case my Gekko "dies" in combat....jajajajaja
Thank U all
Luis

A friend of mine had the same problem he just took it to suunto dealer and they replaced it because it was under warranty.

Similar problem with my Cobra. I was at the Avalon Dive Park in about 30' and the sensor starts to show 999' then gives me only my gas levels. Ended the dive and took it to my LDS. They sent it back and I got a brand spank'n new puter. Said the depth sensor died but not why it happened.

Wow!!! Thank U guys for making me feel less guilty... To keep the ball rolling I soaked into water (without the battery) and I'm planning to leave it there for a week. See what happens after that period when saturation levels go down.
Let U all know...and thanks one more time
Luis

Suunto had received a bad batch of pressure sensors at one point and I think they have pretty much worked through the system.

Here's an update!!!! I left my Gekko for 3 days in water & vinegar solution. I put the battery back and turned on right....no more crazy diving!!!!!! I took it for a dive on the same day, but the depth sensor didn't actually sensed the depth. I was 50 feet underwater and the depth was 0. I'm thinking the salt has the depth sensor membrane blocked at some point.... I need more ideas before I dispose my Gekko...thanks
Luis

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom