New diver, looking at Suunto D5

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wish my wife would dive. Alas she'll do most activities but absolutely will not put her head under water. Nor sail. Nor ride a motorbike.... We love our differences!

Ratio allows you to change your GF/conservatism factor while underwater to allow for the unexpected, low gas supply for example, to allow you to spend less time at deco, or no deco obligation, when you don't have enough gas to do the deco or for longer time. Ratio also will reduce conservatism or do more liberal GF automatically if you miss stop(s).
Shearwater will also allow you to change the GF-Hi underwater.

These features are only really useful to decompression diving and even then it's a rare need especially as you can see the SurfGF in the display.

Ratio allows you to change your GF/conservatism factor while underwater to allow for the unexpected, low gas supply for example, to allow you to spend less time at deco, or no deco obligation, when you don't have enough gas to do the deco or for longer time.
That's pretty cool. I don't know if Shearwater allows changing conservatism during the dive. I may check it shortly. However, for my use, it's probably not a huge issue. I have my Shearwater and Garmin set with a high GF High, but I use the other information to keep a buffer.
Ratio also will reduce conservatism or do more liberal GF automatically if you miss stop(s).
Interesting as well. This would address one of my issues with computers that lockout. If the user selects a more conservative setting, and has to deviate, having a plan B like this would be pretty useful. As long as the change is clearly communicated to the diver, I think this is a good solution.

I have a shearwater but this deal for the Factory Refurbished Garmin Descent Mk2i (open box/ garmin returns) is pretty tempting. its from my local shop.

Back
Top Bottom