Question Suunto D5 keep charged or let battery run down?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Allen-1

SCUBA - just another expensive hobby
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have a Suunto D5 dive computer. It could function as a fairly good looking watch - but I don't wear watches, so its only function to me is as a dive computer.

It has a rechargable battery, presumably lithium. Rechargable batteries typically have a limited number of charge cycles, and when they hit their limit they won't charge any more - so you replace them. In this case this isn't a casual user task, it's probably best done by a qualified person; (yes I KNOW, but that's a different conversation).

So - I was wondering - is there any point to keeping it charged while I'm not using it? Might the best course of action be to let it sit on the shelf and run down; then charge it before a diving trip, check the settings, check for upgrades, and then keep it charged for the duration of the trip?

Thoughts?

Thanks.

Best practice is to periodically charge it. Even if the computer turns fully off at some voltage, self-discharge would eventually drop it into damaging territory.

Also, the "lifetime" charge cycles isn't a cliff where it ceases to function. (Usually "lifetime" is where the capacity degrades to 80% of the original, though that's Suunto's call.) Further, a charge from 30%-70% takes less of a toll than 10%-100%. You'll charge twice as often, but you will likely get 7-8x more cycles -- a net increase in lifetime from a calendar perspective.

Back
Top Bottom