Cobalt 2 battery is dead

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

maddog2

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
The screen on my Cobalt 2 is blank. I believe the battery is dead. First, some history on my Cobalt 2.

I didn't dive for over a year and unwittingly let the battery drain completely. After charging it up (98%) the battery would drain quickly, even though I put it in sleep mode. If the battery went under 50% charge the Cobalt would sometimes freeze. I'm not sure how I finally fixed it so that it would hold a charge, and not freeze up. It may have been because I kept recharging it and resetting it using the Select and Back buttons. But, it finally held a charge and I was able to navigate the Settings and other screens without any issues.

I got my Regs serviced and attached my Cobalt, but instead of reading 3500 psi, it read about 200 psi. I tried it with several full tanks. I had to reset the Cobalt by unplugging the battery to get a correct psi reading. After I was satisfied that it was working correctly I took it for a dive. As soon as I descended on my first dive I noticed that I was at 250 feet and went into Deco. I went home and unplugged the battery again and took it for another dive (with a backup dive computer) and I had the same problem again, but my Cobalt screen also went blank as well. Since then my Cobalt won't wake up. I've tried the AC charger, the USB boot loader, and dunking it in a bucket of water, but nothing seems to work. I know the adapter(s) works (I've got two. One with a broken USB connector and the other with a broken AC connector), because I checked the voltage output on both (about 7 volts).

Ron, can you give me your opinion on what my be broken, and if you think it's a battery problem. Let me know where I can buy one.

Cobalt Serial # 3315-0760. Version 2.492/4

One of our two Cobalt 2s has also recently died. While they had become backup/loaner computers in recent years, we still liked them (except for the cheap AH dongle charger piece of crap). Recently one of the two refuses to power up or charge. As Atomic/Husch discontinued them, we probably will also. Picked up a pair of Zoop Nuvos as spares/loaners and they seem perfect for the purpose use they will get.

The screen on my Cobalt 2 is blank. I believe the battery is dead. First, some history on my Cobalt 2.

I didn't dive for over a year and unwittingly let the battery drain completely. After charging it up (98%) the battery would drain quickly, even though I put it in sleep mode. If the battery went under 50% charge the Cobalt would sometimes freeze. I'm not sure how I finally fixed it so that it would hold a charge, and not freeze up. It may have been because I kept recharging it and resetting it using the Select and Back buttons. But, it finally held a charge and I was able to navigate the Settings and other screens without any issues.

I got my Regs serviced and attached my Cobalt, but instead of reading 3500 psi, it read about 200 psi. I tried it with several full tanks. I had to reset the Cobalt by unplugging the battery to get a correct psi reading. After I was satisfied that it was working correctly I took it for a dive. As soon as I descended on my first dive I noticed that I was at 250 feet and went into Deco. I went home and unplugged the battery again and took it for another dive (with a backup dive computer) and I had the same problem again, but my Cobalt screen also went blank as well. Since then my Cobalt won't wake up. I've tried the AC charger, the USB boot loader, and dunking it in a bucket of water, but nothing seems to work. I know the adapter(s) works (I've got two. One with a broken USB connector and the other with a broken AC connector), because I checked the voltage output on both (about 7 volts).

Ron, can you give me your opinion on what my be broken, and if you think it's a battery problem. Let me know where I can buy one.

Cobalt Serial # 3315-0760. Version 2.492/4
From what you say I suspect it's more than a battery problem. The bad depth readings would at minimum tell me the depth sensor has failed, this means we would need to look at the Cobalt's PCB. The depth sensor is reasonably easy to replace, but it does require us to get the Cobalt here. A leak in the case is the worst case scenario, which might require replacing the main PCB with a refurbished unit.

If you're OK with sending it to us we would be happy to take a look and let you know what we find. I'll send you a message here on ScubaBoard with more information.

Ron

One of our two Cobalt 2s has also recently died. While they had become backup/loaner computers in recent years, we still liked them (except for the cheap AH dongle charger piece of crap). Recently one of the two refuses to power up or charge. As Atomic/Husch discontinued them, we probably will also. Picked up a pair of Zoop Nuvos as spares/loaners and they seem perfect for the purpose use they will get.
Happy to take a look if you can get them to us. In any case, don't discard these Cobalt 2's, as when our replacement comes on line the high pressure parts will have value for trade-in or upgrade- if not to you, to someone. We're working on an "up-cycle" model where components like these can be reused.

Ron

Yes, please let me know the shipping address and I would be more than happy to ship it to you.

I would like to add that the Cobalt 2 is the best dive computer that I've owned. It has large buttons that are easily used with bulky dry gloves, The display is bright with large characters, and can be held at arm's lenght for easy reading. It's integrated with depth gauge, spg and a very accurate electronic compass. The most accurate and easiest to use compass that I've used. But best of all the software is fantastic with an extremely easy to use interface and intuitive settings/setup.

Thank you.

Yes, please let me know the shipping address and I would be more than happy to ship it to you.

I would like to add that the Cobalt 2 is the best dive computer that I've owned. It has large buttons that are easily used with bulky dry gloves, The display is bright with large characters, and can be held at arm's lenght for easy reading. It's integrated with depth gauge, spg and a very accurate electronic compass. The most accurate and easiest to use compass that I've used. But best of all the software is fantastic with an extremely easy to use interface and intuitive settings/setup.

Thank you.
I've sent you a Message with information. Thanks for the positive feedback- we really worked to make the Cobalt interface easy for users.

I'll note that we set up a forum space here on ScubaBoard specifically for supporting the Computers we designed:
We did this when Atomic stopped their ScubaBoard forum- apparently they are once again supporting it.

Ron

Though it's a little OT, when you release a new computer,  please disable mandatory alarms. That is the SOLE reason (well, also Buhlmann) I abandoned the Cobalt 2. Fantastic display. Great customizing.
But bimbling along in the shallows at the end of a deep dive, offgassing and enjoying the fish, I absolutely hated a recurring safety stop alarm as I shifted back and forth between 30 and 18 feet, and I hated not being able to silence when I hit 300 psi. The boat was right there!

Great computer. Awful alarms.

Though it's a little OT, when you release a new computer,  please disable mandatory alarms. That is the SOLE reason (well, also Buhlmann) I abandoned the Cobalt 2. Fantastic display. Great customizing.
But bimbling along in the shallows at the end of a deep dive, offgassing and enjoying the fish, I absolutely hated a recurring safety stop alarm as I shifted back and forth between 30 and 18 feet, and I hated not being able to silence when I hit 300 psi. The boat was right there!

Great computer. Awful alarms.
We released a firmware version (starting with version 2.5 released I think in 2020) that allows Cobalt 2 users to disable those alarms (some alerts were always user controllable in Dive Settings). In Dive Settings there is an option for Global Audio ON or OFF- this can make the Cobalt entirely silent.

Our next generation computers (the ones we wanted Huish Outdoors to produce) incorporates Buhlmann as well as both RGBM versions, with the ability to switch between algorithms on the fly. Couldn't agree more about that particular topic.

Ron

I've sent you a Message with information. Thanks for the positive feedback- we really worked to make the Cobalt interface easy for users.

I'll note that we set up a forum space here on ScubaBoard specifically for supporting the Computers we designed:
We did this when Atomic stopped their ScubaBoard forum- apparently they are once again supporting it.

Ron
Please make this information available to all of us who need new batteries.
Thank you,
teosails

Back
Top Bottom