Questions about my new Mares Puck

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FPDocMatt

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Okay, I just received my new Mares Puck in the mail, read the instructions, navigated all the menus.

1. It has a back light on demand, but how do you turn it on? It came on at one point by itself, but I don't know how to actually turn it on and off.

2. I thought somebody said that it isn't water-activated, that you actually have to turn it on before you go in the water. But the instructions make it look like you don't have to. I certainly don't want to go diving with it and find out after the dive that I didn't turn it on. Do I have to do anything to turn it on before I dive?

3. There is an electronic connector on the back, and the instructions talk about an optional connector to connect to your PC. Should I purchase this? It looks like I can get all the information I would need to fill out my log book directly from the display.

4. If I do purchase the connector, is the software that comes with it adequate, or should I get different software to interpret the information I upload to my computer? Someone here showed me the DivePal software display, but is this really something I should get?

5. The instructions say that replacing the battery is complicated and delicate, that you should get an authorized technician to do it. Is this true?

6. Do I need to purchase a battery in advance for when it goes low? Or can I just wait until it says that the battery is low to purchase one? How long does the battery last?

Thanks!
Matt

Hi Matt,
we have an online class for the Puck.
I don't know where you bought your Puck, but you might want to ask the store for a free activation code for the Puck class. Some dive stores give away the class for free when you purchase the dive computer from them.

The current version of divePAL, while simulates the Puck, does not yet import logs directly from it.
We expect to release by the end of February a new version of divePAL Windows that imports the logs directly from the Puck.

Once you create a log with divePAL Windows,

divepal_mares_puckt.jpg

you will be able to see them on an iPad with divePAL iPad ...

divepal_mares_ipad.jpg
and pretty soon with a browser too with divePAL Web

divepal_web.jpg

Alberto (aka eDiver)

Okay, I just received my new Mares Puck in the mail, read the instructions, navigated all the menus.

what support does your retailer provide - oops, none - you didn't get it locally..... hmmmmmmm. The manual is fairly good/comprehensive..... I just opened the PDF on the internet (to reaffirm my thoughts - as I own a Puck, and know its operations.... I'd suggest reading it again... (FWIW - I re-read my manual each year during my non-diving winter season to remember how it functions)

1. It has a back light on demand, but how do you turn it on? It came on at one point by itself, but I don't know how to actually turn it on and off.

From the manual:

BACK LIGHTING

Pressing the button for 4 seconds will
temporarily turn on the backlight (for about
4 seconds).
When the backlight is on, pressing the button will
prolong illumination of the display.

2. I thought somebody said that it isn't water-activated, that you actually have to turn it on before you go in the water. But the instructions make it look like you don't have to. I certainly don't want to go diving with it and find out after the dive that I didn't turn it on. Do I have to do anything to turn it on before I dive?

From the manual:

Before every dive, you should check that
all parameters have been set correctly.

So - You turn it on, let it do its self check, you make sure it is properly configured (like EAN?, fresh/salt, etc.).... and then verify that it is in dive mode before you are in the water....

3. There is an electronic connector on the back, and the instructions talk about an optional connector to connect to your PC. Should I purchase this? It looks like I can get all the information I would need to fill out my log book directly from the display.

Purely your choice..... do you want to see graphic representations of your dive? Do you wan t to keep an electronic log? You have to decide if the cable that costs almost as much as the computer, and software support that is non-existent is worth it to you based on what you want from it...

4. If I do purchase the connector, is the software that comes with it adequate, or should I get different software to interpret the information I upload to my computer? Someone here showed me the DivePal software display, but is this really something I should get?

Depends on what you want to do with the information...

5. The instructions say that replacing the battery is complicated and delicate, that you should get an authorized technician to do it. Is this true?

That statement is their way around having to warranty it.... Funny, they market it as a user replaceable battery....

From the manual: Unscrew the waterproof cover on the back ofPUCK, rotating counter-clockwise.
Lift the cover, prying in the two grooves.
Remove the battery, paying close attention to
the proper polarity.
Insert a new battery, Lithium CR 2450, making
sure the polarity is correct.
Check the gasket in the cover.
Insert the cover onto PUCK so that the icons
are correctly positioned.
Press the cover inward.
Turn clockwise, pressing the cover until the
icons are aligned.

6. Do I need to purchase a battery in advance for when it goes low? Or can I just wait until it says that the battery is low to purchase one? How long does the battery last?

From the manual:
self test battery status.....
• BATT OK
• BATT LO 1
• BATT LO 2
• If a low charge level is detected (BATT LO 1
), the battery icon turns on and the display
backlight function is disabled (Figure 3).
Fig. 3
When the icon first appears, replace the
battery as soon as possible.
If the level reaches the minimum level
(BATT LO 2), all the PUCK functions will be
disabled, and only SYSTEM mode can be
accessed.

Battery life is a function of time and use... If it was a trip of a lifetime, I'd have a spare.... there is a whole other discussion that could take place here....

Thanks!
Matt

comments inserted in the text in bold

Back
Top Bottom