Atomic Cobalt 2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaND

Contributor
Reaction score
Just ordered the atomic cobalt 2. Super excited to get it in my hands and try it on my trip in 3 weeks. Everyone I've talked to has said its amazing the speeds that the new one is and how responsive the compass is. Hopefully atomic has all the issues they had with the original cobalt worked out with this one.

should have it this next week :)

Congrats! I will probably get my wife one first this summer. We both use the cobalt 1's and really like them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

What is the difference between the two models?

They upgraded the internal components. Suppose to be faster and more responsive. The housing itself is identical to the original cobalt. It is suppose to arrive to me on Thursday :). Now just trying to figure out how to attach it to my bcd.

What is the difference between the two models?

Cross posted form Atomic's SB area:

The Cobalt 2 doesn't look any different cosmetically, but it's a complete redesign internally. This redesign is something we wanted (needed) to do before coming out with any type of wrist configuration. Here is an overview:

Compass:
The compass on the original Cobalt was a early generation chip that was the best available at the time, but was not terribly accurate or easy to calibrate. The speed of compass updating was limited by the processor speed. The new processor allows us to update the compass display in essentially real time video- it's quite a remarkable difference. The integrated compass/ accelerometer gives an accuracy of 1-2°, and offers calibration by essentially just waving it around (a little more involved, but that's the general idea). It's also not subject to getting knocked out of calibration the way the old compass chip was, and is still 360° compensated. So there is a big improvement in the compass. It's very obvious when you see it.

Processor:
Speed in the processor is not a big deal in ordinary recreational diving, though it does feel snappier using menus. But when it comes to complex iterative deco calculations, the difference is huge. Calculations that took 8-10 seconds on the Cobalt 1 are done in a fraction of a second. That opens up other possibilities for future development. Which brings up the biggest reason for a redesign- we want to be building on a platform that is stable for the long term and can accommodate many new features in the future. This new hardware platform needed to be in place, for instance, before we could put it into a wrist mount.

Display:
The Cobalt 2 display is a new TFT display, not an AMOLED. Pretty much everyone thinks it looks better, and it uses about the same power. It does allow us to have an auto-backlight brightness option.

Interface:
It will be instantly recognizable as a Cobalt interface- but there are some changes. We allow six gas mixtures, rather than three. There are some differences in how the dive log data is displayed, and more info shown. Some colors are changed.

Firmware Update:
Big changes here. One of the biggest problems we had was people needing to run an application to update firmware, and experiencing system problems. The Cobalt 2 has a built in hardware reset, and if you do this while it is connected to a PC- of any type, Mac, Windows, Linux- it will show up as a mass storage device, just like a USB thumb drive or a flash card. No drivers or software required. Just drag the new firmware file into the Cobalt's icon, and the Cobalt will take care of updating itself. This is something else the new processor makes possible.

This is an evolution from the original Cobalt, and greatly improves the features in the original, but is still very much the same sort of product.

Ron

Looking at the Cobalt 2 manual, I was sorry to see no ability to kill alarms entirely or otherwise have an advanced user mode.

Looking at the Cobalt 2 manual, I was sorry to see no ability to kill alarms entirely or otherwise have an advanced user mode.
That didn't make it into the first firmware release, but we do plan to add an expert mode that would allow disabling audible alerts. As it is some- ascent, PO2, stop depth out of range, gas switching, and out of gas- can't be made silent.

Ron

Keep in mind everyone, Atomic is the only computer on the market that has designed there computer to handle upgrades in the future. Some of the things we currently want might be in the making with a Software update

Keep in mind everyone, Atomic is the only computer on the market that has designed there computer to handle upgrades in the future. Some of the things we currently want might be in the making with a Software update

I liked my Cobalts a lot, but that statement is not even remotely true.

There are a number of other computers that allow firmware to be updated, in fact most in the tech computer area, but a few recreational computers as well. I hope we have been very responsive in adding requested features, but we can't claim to be the only ones that have upgradeable firmware.

Ron

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom