Mares Icon HD Black vs "Net Ready"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Romantic

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am thinking about buying some new computers. The Mares Icon looks pretty good. I have not seen too many recent reviews. Earlier reviews stated battery life issues but I don't see much recent info on it.

Mares Icon HD Black vs "Net Ready"
Also, can anyone tell me the deference between these two computers? From the website it looks like it is only the firmware installed but I thought the "Net Ready" version could have the firmware upgraded anyway, so would they be the same if they had the same firmware?

Not sure what the difference is but I would expect the firmware to be the same (4.0). Could it be just the color?

By the way - I absolutely love my Icon Net Ready 4.0 even though I don't have the transmitter.

Mares replied to an email...

The Icon HD Net Ready and the "Black Edition" are essentially the same.

The difference is as follows:

Both are "net ready" "air integrated"

Silver Trim around the screen vs. black trim.

The Icon Net ready with the silver trim has an earlier version of firmware installed.

The "Black edition" net ready has 4.0 installed from the factory.

The only hardware change would be the new black trim.

The "Icon Hd net ready with the silver trim" is exactly the same as the "black edition" once the firmware has been updated to 4.0.

To conclude the Icon Net ready with silver trim can be updated to firmware version 4.0.

This firmware is available for free download on our Mares.com website.

If you have to update the firmware to 4.0 on the "net ready", you will probably have to update the transmitter firmware also. The transmitter can only be updated by Mares or a dealer that has the appropriate usb dongle and software.

If you have to update the firmware to 4.0 on the "net ready", you will probably have to update the transmitter firmware also. The transmitter can only be updated by Mares or a dealer that has the appropriate usb dongle and software.

I realize I'm super late to the party on this particular thread but I never had to update the transmitter firmware on mine after updating to 4.0. At least I didn't have to update them to get them to work. Is there some reason they need to be updated?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom