Cochran Captain vs Uwatec Bottom Timer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

recman21

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I am looking for a basic computer to use as a depth gauge / bottom timer.

The two I am looking at are a Cochran Captain or a Uwatec Bottom Timer.

Any pros or cons that anyone knows about? Any other suggestions?

I have used the Captain and it gave me all the info I needed but had seen a lot of people say they used the Uwatec.

Happy Diving!

steve

I really like my Uwatec bottom timer. Don't know anything about the Cochran commander though.

My BT simply operates as advertised. Been diving it off and on for the last year and a half with no problems whatsoever.

I went with the Uwatec based on recommendations from this board, and haven't had a single regret yet.

recman21:
I am looking for a basic computer to use as a depth gauge / bottom timer. The two I am looking at are a Cochran Captain or a Uwatec Bottom Timer. Any pros or cons that anyone knows about? Any other suggestions?

The Captain is a dive computer (modified Haldanean) that can be used as a bottom timer. The Uwatec is basically a bottom timer that can also display maximum depth, ascent rate (displayed as a percentage of the allowable ascent rate for any given depth) and water temperature—it is NOT a computer.

The Captain uses cheap user-replaceable batteries. The Uwatec has a built-in (non user-replaceable) battery with a claimed 11-year life (based on 100 dives/year).

If you want a reliable, basic bottom timer, you can’t go wrong with the Uwatec. If you also need your bottom timer to function as a dive computer, go for the Cochran. Note: there are other choices out there.

I have a uwatec bottom timer and love the unit. I would have my doubts with that, or any Cochran units, based on this report below. I only dove with a Nemisis IIa Nitrox back 6 years ago several times, so I really do not have a lot of personal information but I hope this helps.

http://www.bikiniatoll.com/Cochran.html

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom