Shearwater vs Aqualung

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you don't wanna believe it you could just call SW and ask about the service center in the EU and what they can or can't do.
No need to be defensive; I don't think I even hinted that I didn't believe you. I'm interested in your experience because it's the first (only?) complaint about SW service from EU I've heard.

Check the customs forms again. There should be an exemption that you are sending it in for service/repair. The value of the item isn't taxed as it is returned. It isn't sold, no transaction takes place. It just needs to be returned to close the loop. The transaction is a service. We have equipment at work that is shipped to someplace in the EU for calibration. The stuff is over $100k. But it is only there to be serviced then returned, so we don't pay the crazy taxes of import and export for the round trip.

Shearwater.

I have a Perdix AI, a Descent MK I, and an Apple Watch Ultra. They are all perfect. Perdix is best and versatile for single, double (including tec), and sidemount.

For context, I reside in South Korea and have had to get both the Perdix AI and Descent MK I repaired. The Perdix AI was sent to the Asia Pacific service center in Australia, where I received valuable information, including a picture of a corroded board with a possible explanation and plan for fix it. I paid a reasonable money for a complete board replacement, and it is now working well. Total 1.5 month. Regarding the Descent MK I, the Korean service center identified a typical Garmin button issue (fixed in MK2) and initiated the refurbishment process. Unfortunately, during this time, the Descent MK2 was released, causing a two-month delay due to the "refurbish production." Nonetheless, I also paid an affordable price for a brand new MK I, and it's working perfectly as well. 3 months.

Check the customs forms again. There should be an exemption that you are sending it in for service/repair. The value of the item isn't taxed as it is returned. It isn't sold, no transaction takes place. It just needs to be returned to close the loop. The transaction is a service. We have equipment at work that is shipped to someplace in the EU for calibration. The stuff is over $100k. But it is only there to be serviced then returned, so we don't pay the crazy taxes of import and export for the round trip.
I know. It's called 'outward processing'.
I said earlier in the thread that you can give it to the distributor and have them do it too. Less annoying but still slow an pricey.

I love my Shearwater Teric.

Unless Shearwater decides to stop making computers, all future dive computers in my household will be Shearwater.

The Teric is pretty much perfection.

Hi everyone.

I'm looking to upgrade my computer. I think I've narrowed it down to either the Perdix 2 or Aqualung i770. Both have the AI that i want. Any pros or cons to one over the other? Any other AI computer i should look at? Would prefer full screen over watch style.

Thanks!
Hi! I think there’s probably some things to consider first before comparing a bunch of specifications. In the end, the comparison between the two is only on the features that are most relevant to the diving that you do - or will be doing.

A few questions to consider:

1. What sorts of environments do you dive in? How often do you dive?

2. What type of exposure protection do you use? e.g. drysuit or wetsuit, both?

3. You say you want AI. Do you plan on using a transmitter in a single tank configuration? Will you use more than one transmitter (e.g. on a pony/bail out bottle or in sidemount configuration in lieu of SPGs)

4. Are you a technical diver? If yes, how many different mixes would you potentially use on a dive? Do you make deep stops in you decompression? How important is it for you to adjust the gradient factors?

5. Are you a freediver? Would this computer need to be used for freediving?

Some of these questions will lead to answers around the two computers you mentioned - although perhaps might let you realize some things that perhaps you might also consider.

Happy to talk more! DM and I can help.

Richard

Eitherway, I did learn from this that an mCCR on which you can run different monitors has an advantage over a DiveCan unit when it come to stuff breaking.
I just travel with a spare unit if I am diving with others on the same unit.
If I am traveling myself, I still usually have at least a spare controller.
**** happens, everything breaks. I have only ever missed one dive due to a unit issue. The worst part was I had a workaround in my spare parts kit that I wasn't able to bring on the boat due to storage issues. I have dove in some pretty awesome remote places and traveled a fair amount to do it. The DiveCan system is pretty robust and typically it just works.

I just travel with a spare unit if I am diving with others on the same unit.
If I am traveling myself, I still usually have at least a spare controller.
**** happens, everything breaks. I have only ever missed one dive due to a unit issue. The worst part was I had a workaround in my spare parts kit that I wasn't able to bring on the boat due to storage issues. I have dove in some pretty awesome remote places and traveled a fair amount to do it. The DiveCan system is pretty robust and typically it just works.
I hear you. I haven't had the ccr for that long and I kinda lost trust in SW's reliability now since this has happened so early on. I didn't even take any beating in a cave yet. It crapped out after a shore dive.
I see that I'll need a spare handset if I don't wanna risk being on BBQ duty all day every day on the next dive trip, but at this point I don't really wanna give them another 2 grand for a fourth computer that may or may not last a 100 dives... I'm seriously considering dumping the DiveCan for an mCCR. :(

I hear you. I haven't had the ccr for that long and I kinda lost trust in SW's reliability now since this has happened so early on. I didn't even take any beating in a cave yet. It crapped out after a shore dive.
I see that I'll need a spare handset if I don't wanna risk being on BBQ duty all day every day on the next dive trip, but at this point I don't really wanna give them another 2 grand for a fourth computer that may or may not last a 100 dives... I'm seriously considering dumping the DiveCan for an mCCR. :(
You can certainly do that. Once you try a REVO dream, you will long for a crappy shearwater.
Or you could go the KISS route and it won't be the controller keeping you out of the water, it will be something else.
There are obviously other MCCRs with varying levels of issues.
Basically I am saying every unit will fail, the more you dive it, the more it will happen. They all have strong and weak points. You learn what they are and figure out ways to work around them.
I have a collection of units in my basement and all of them suck on certain days. Most of them are great on most days.
One of them is always a pile of crap, every day. But they are out of business and it doesn't really matter.

Back
Top Bottom