ScubaPro Aladin 2G for tech diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AbyssalPlains

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I own a Nitek Duo that I've been fairly happy with overall, but now I have an opportunity to get my hands on a SP Aladin 2G for very cheap, and think it might be a good opportunity to get a backup to my Nitek and (hopefully!) one that isn't so ridiculously conservative. I love the Nitek except for its conservatism. On pretty much any dive I do with groups, I'm the only one who will go into deco while everybody else is diving happily about, BELOW me. It drives me insane.

So, I have two questions:

Is the Aladin a little more relaxed?

I'm venturing into technical diving (I completed Adv. Nitrox and deco procedures) and am currently putting together doubles. I will probably use tables most of the time, but I want to be able to use my computers as gauges.

However browsing the Aladin 2G manual, I stumbled across this: "Gauge mode can be switched on and off at the surface, when there is no desaturation and no-dive in gauge mode has been made in the last 48 hours."

Let's say I'm doing three days of deco diving. Does this mean the Aladin 2G can be used only on day 1 and day 3? I'm really hoping I'm misunderstanding, and that it means I can't GO BACK AND FORTH between gauge and computer mode within 48 hours. But as long as I leave it in gauge mode, I can dive it as much as I wish.

Does anyone know?

As long as you leave it in gauge mode you can dive as much as your tables allow. I have a Tech 2g, same thing different name, and have been happy with it. The DSS mount is a must have.

Although if I was buying a bottom timer today I would get a Liquid Vision.

The thing Uwatec/Scubapro is concenred about is avoiding a situation where you have on gassed during a dive and then want to switch to copmputer mode. That concern about switching from gauge mode is valid as the compartments levels in the computer would be zero and would not reflect your current saturation levels.

Switching from computer to gauge mode should not present any concerns - but it is still not allowed. The Sol, Luna and Terra offer you the option of resetting the computer (theoretically to loan to another diver who has not bene in the water for 48 hours) and that would also allow you to switch to gauge mode after you reset the N2 saturation levels, but the Tec 2 G lacks that feature.

So...pick what you want (nitrox or gauge mode) and stay with it.

I have heard of a few normoxic trimix divers using it for trimix dives. In you consider tables for 21/35 and air, you'll note the deco is basically identical (at least for one dive per day). That holds reasonably true for trimix as long as the he percentage is fairly low and I think that is why some people try it as well as get away with it.

Personally, I think it's a lot more prudent to stay with tables or invest in a helium capable computer backed up with tables.

I have the same configuration you are looking at. I have been diving a Duo for years and now use the Tec 2G for my primary with the Duo as a back-up for technical diving in gauge mode. The Duo works just the same for the 48 hour non-switchable from gauge back to computer. I am actually quite happy with both, but as I cut trimix tables using V-Planner I agree with the post above and am drooling over a Liquid Vision with the V-Planner software.

I own a Nitek Duo that I've been fairly happy with overall, but now I have an opportunity to get my hands on a SP Aladin 2G for very cheap, and think it might be a good opportunity to get a backup to my Nitek and (hopefully!) one that isn't so ridiculously conservative. I love the Nitek except for its conservatism. On pretty much any dive I do with groups, I'm the only one who will go into deco while everybody else is diving happily about, BELOW me. It drives me insane.

So, I have two questions:

Is the Aladin a little more relaxed?

In my research, I have found the Uwatecs (all) are middle of the conservative - aggressive range. You can make it more conservative by 'upping' the microbubble levels and implementing the PDIS.

I'm venturing into technical diving (I completed Adv. Nitrox and deco procedures) and am currently putting together doubles. I will probably use tables most of the time, but I want to be able to use my computers as gauges.

However browsing the Aladin 2G manual, I stumbled across this: "Gauge mode can be switched on and off at the surface, when there is no desaturation and no-dive in gauge mode has been made in the last 48 hours."

Let's say I'm doing three days of deco diving. Does this mean the Aladin 2G can be used only on day 1 and day 3? I'm really hoping I'm misunderstanding, and that it means I can't GO BACK AND FORTH between gauge and computer mode within 48 hours. But as long as I leave it in gauge mode, I can dive it as much as I wish.

Does anyone know?

On the money.

Switching from computer to gauge mode should not present any concerns - but it is still not allowed. The Sol, Luna and Terra offer you the option of resetting the computer (theoretically to loan to another diver who has not bene in the water for 48 hours) and that would also allow you to switch to gauge mode after you reset the N2 saturation levels, but the Tec 2 G lacks that feature.

FYI, The Aladin 2G computer came out in 2010 as the next model to the Aladin TEC 2G. [-]I'm checking the manual now to see if the above statement is true for the 2G.[/-] The above statement is not true for the Aladin 2G.

Uwatec Aladin 2G Manual

- Comes with an Apnea mode!
- found it! Page 62 - resetting the N2 saturation level

Last edited:
I have been very confused by the switch from the Tec 2G to the Aladin 2G. It seems retailers are listing the Aladin 2G as the Aladin Tec 2G or even as the Uwatec Tec 2G.

Back
Top Bottom