Dive Rite Nitek Q issue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shortdive

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
My son and I purchased two Dive Rite Nitek Q computers in January 2014. The 7 gas / trimix computer was suitable for our diving; half our dives are on wrecks in the 40 to 50 metre range with an occasional trimix dive to 60 – 65 metres. The Nitek was well priced compared to the Shearwater and I had read pretty good things about Dive Rites customer service. My research on the Nitek indicated that it was user friendly but had some problems with its download capability over a period of time. As we don’t download our dives this didn’t worry us.
On using the Nitek we were mostly happy with them. Provided all of the important stuff on one screen and easy gas changing. Downside was that the screen was hard to see at shallower depths and the screen had to be kept on a low brightness setting otherwise it would chew up the battery fairly quickly.
Forward to May 2015, and my son’s Nitek lost a vertical row of pixels. We wouldn’t worry about the loss of pixels but the lost row meant that the 1 in the 21% o2 reading was no longer visible. I contacted Dive Rite and they instructed me to reboot the computer, which I did. Contacted Dive Rite again stating the obvious that it appeared to be a hardware issue. I added that I was aware that the computer was only just out of warranty but I would expect a dive computer to last longer than a bit over a year. I have two Aladdin’s which have lasted over 20 years.
Dive Rite informed me that they would fix the computer for a fee, which was fifty percent of the purchase price. I was very surprised at their response. Clearly dive computers are not inexpensive items and are designed to last years. The issue was a hardware fault and I would have expected that they would have repaired or replaced this faulty item at their expense.
My family have a number of Dive Rite products including a Transpac and one set of reg’s which have been pretty good. I and some friends had the Dive Rite Duo computer which failed after 18 months (new batteries did not help). Those failures are well documented and I copped that one on the chin and threw it away. I know some will offer experiences of good customer service from Dive Rite. Maybe I got the wrong customer service person. My experience was not so good and will not buy another product from them. Will probably get a Shearwater.

Has anyone had the same or different experience concerning the Nitek Q.

I have a Dive Rite dual. After spending the winter in my dive bag it would not turn on this Spring. Disgusted as this was only it's second season, I threw it on my bench and left it for almost three months with out batteries. When I got back to it I decided to put a battery in just in case. Voila! It powered up and has worked for the last month.

Lesson learned; store it for extended times without batteries.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom