Oh, my head hurts.... So confuzzled.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

goodknight411

Contributor
Reaction score
I ordered a wrist mount Atmos 2 and got it in yesterday. Now I thought I would love it. And I do like the computer part, but I'm pretty small (5'2", 118lbs) and it just is way too big for my arm. Feels like a brick and is the actual computer part is almost as big as my wrist is. I'm just not comfortable with it and don't see that changing.

So, I got to researching (again) and came up with a few options, and was hoping some of you wise folks could help me out.

Here we go:

Put the Atmos 2 into a console. This is similar to the set up I just got rid of (suunto favor, compass, spg) and I was hoping not to have such a large console again. But I do like the Atmos 2.

Get a Suunto Cobra. I like the computer, have been diving Suunto so I am familiar with the 'conservative' issue. Keeps my console smaller.

Get a Suunto Stinger. It is smaller than the Atmos (how much I don't know), once again is a Suunto product and is more familiar to me. And keeps the console size down.

So, what's the verdict? Or are there any better ideas?

Thanks

goodknight411:
I ordered a wrist mount Atmos 2 and got it in yesterday. Now I thought I would love it. And I do like the computer part, but I'm pretty small (5'2", 118lbs) and it just is way too big for my arm. Feels like a brick and is the actual computer part is almost as big as my wrist is. I'm just not comfortable with it and don't see that changing.

So, I got to researching (again) and came up with a few options, and was hoping some of you wise folks could help me out.

Here we go:

Put the Atmos 2 into a console. This is similar to the set up I just got rid of (suunto favor, compass, spg) and I was hoping not to have such a large console again. But I do like the Atmos 2.

Get a Suunto Cobra. I like the computer, have been diving Suunto so I am familiar with the 'conservative' issue. Keeps my console smaller.

Get a Suunto Stinger. It is smaller than the Atmos (how much I don't know), once again is a Suunto product and is more familiar to me. And keeps the console size down.

So, what's the verdict? Or are there any better ideas?

Thanks

The suunto mosquito is the same size as a wrist watch and uses the same algorithm as the stinger if you like wrist mount. The atmos 2 is a good computer though and if you love it you might just want to get a console for it.

From the options you mentioned I would go with the stinger (or another small wrist mounted computer). Console mounted computers, in my experience, start to feel more and more awkward the longer you have them.

R..

Have you considered wearing the wrist mount on your forearm just below the elbow?
I wear mine there and find it tracks depth better because the movement is not as great as it is on the wrist. And, it keeps my wrist clear as well as being easier to look at.

dbg40:
Have you considered wearing the wrist mount on your forearm just below the elbow?
I wear mine there and find it tracks depth better because the movement is not as great as it is on the wrist. And, it keeps my wrist clear as well as being easier to look at.

Yes, I tried that, but it feels extremely uncomfortable and insecure to me. It's possible that that may be becuase I have never worn a wrist mount before, but I dislike the feeling way to much to wear it like that.

If you like the Atom 2, you can always buy retractor and mount it on your BC. Scubatoys sells one I think. Another option is to buy a smaller computer, two smaller one are the Tusa IQ-800 DC-Sapience Wrist Computer and Mares Nemo Computer, both were recently reviewed in Rodale's Scuba Diving Magazine if you want additional information. Hope that helps.

Me dive a cobra with a stinger for backup. Just got my stinger and am haveing my own little love affair. Either one will do well by you.

I too have 'skinny wrists', although time & entropy are leaving my wrists & fingers as some of the few parts I can still claim as 'skinny', slowly but surely . . . but my wrists are quite elliptical, rather than circular.

I really don't care for the 'hard' rubber wrist straps that came with either my Dive Rite Nitek3 or my TUSA IQ-700. Like you, by the time you get it wrapped around and the pin near some of those last few holes, it really isn't comfortable.

For my TUSA IQ-700, I took the factory strap off in favor of the Dive Rite Duo cinch strap kit. Feels LOTS more secure, and doesn't wobble about now, vs. the factory strap. Sometimes a little personal customization can make a difference. The cinch strap is neoprene, not plastic, works great for me.

I saw someone advertising a Cressi Archimede on eBay with a 'waterbourne Austrailian wrist strap' - and it looks like a good way to go vs. a factory plastic strap, but I have no idea where to find such a thing. But, there are definitely 'other' wrist strap options for dive computers than what just comes from the factory. The folks at Scubatoys may know of some alternatives that would work with the Atmos 2. They do advertise a 'Aeris Retractor' that's very similar to a retractor rig I tried on my Dive Rite NiTek3 when I first got it, but the little plastic snap gave me concerns of potentially slipping loose when wall diving, to see my dive computer racing to the abyss is something I don't want to happen.

My petite wife, near your stats, wears her NiTek3, which truly is a small 'brick' on her wrist, but likes it mounted on her right wrist even though she's right handed. If you haven't tried wearing it on your 'off' hand, you may give that a whirl.

And, if you really want to get a wristwatch type, smaller computer, there's a number of them out on the market now. But it may pay off to hunt around a bit for alternative wrist straps first.

Hope this helps!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom