Dive Computers: Suunto vs. Atomic?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bahamasita

Registered
Reaction score
Hi All --

I'm a beginner diver -- still have to do my OW dives this summer, but plan on pursing more advanced certs. My local dive shop carries mainly Suunto and Atomic dive computers. The guy recommended I get the Suunto Cobra which has the automatic start when you go in the water and start diving so you don't have to remember to push the start button for your dive. I heard that the Atomic II, however, is easier to use and has a more intuitive dislplay. I want something Nitrox-compatible for when I get certified in the future for that. I definitely want the auto-start sensor because I WILL forget to turn it on.

Also, what are your recommendations for a back-up for the dive computer? A wrist computer?

I have a trip to the FL Keys coming up in July and want to learn all I can about equip so I can buy the right ones for me before that trip.

Thanks all! :)

I didn't even know Atomic made computers, that said, I'd have to reccommend the suunto. As for a back-up try a uwatec bottom timer and your dive tables and your brain.

dulldiver:
I didn't even know Atomic made computers, that said, I'd have to reccommend the suunto. As for a back-up try a uwatec bottom timer and your dive tables and your brain.

Sorry...beginner faux pas! I meant to say "Atmos" dive computer....

bahamasita:
The guy recommended I get the Suunto Cobra which has the automatic start when you go in the water and start diving so you don't have to remember to push the start button for your dive. I heard that the Atomic II, however, is easier to use and has a more intuitive dislplay. I want something Nitrox-compatible for when I get certified in the future for that. I definitely want the auto-start sensor because I WILL forget to turn it on.

Also, what are your recommendations for a back-up for the dive computer? A wrist computer?

Both the Cobra and the Atmos 2 are good computers; the Atmos 2 has less features than the Cobra. The Atmos ai is perhaps more an equivalent of the Cobra. Aeris computers will be more aggressive than the Suunto as they utilize different variations/versions of Haldanean algorithm (Suunto refers to the algorithm they use as “RGBM” but it’s not really true RGBM—do a search as there are various threads about it on this board and I don’t want to start another one). It’s up to your personal preference whether you’d want a more aggressive computer or a more conservative one—having said all that, one can always set a more aggressive computer to be more conservative. Also, IMHO, I suggest you keep the compass on your wrist and not on the console—it’s much easier to use that way.

As for a back-up computer, make sure your back-up is utilizing the same algorithm as your primary to avoid problems. An earlier suggestion of a bottom-timer/brain is probably a better idea—definitely more than adequate. It would be impractical to have two console computers, so yes, your back-up would have to be a wrist mounted. I personally prefer a wrist mounted computer, which allows me to get rid of my depth gauge also—I have a small back-up SPG and avoid the clutter of a full-on compass/SPG/computer console.

I bought the Atoms 2 myself. In the first 18 months of owning it, I had to have it replaced 3 times. Persoanlly, I wouldn't touch another Aeris computer if someone gave me one for free.

I have and older aries and it is pretty nice. After using my buddys suunto it is way better.

Back
Top Bottom