Solomon Islands - political instability/safety?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Louie

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Hello everyone!

I am playing with the idea of going Australasia way at the end of 2001. I would love to dive the Solomons but I have heard and read many conflicting reports on the safety issue since the insurrection last year (some tell us to stick to the capital, others to stay in touristy places, some telling everyone to stay away, others warning British nationals to steer clear etc.).

Has anybody been to the Solomons recently or know of reliable sources of info?

Help greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Louie

Louie,

For specific information for british nationals look up the UK government Foreign office advice for that area.

They have a web page, and I will look it up for you some time today.

They usually give good advice, and can tell you all the visa etc.. requirements for where you want to go.

Jon T

Hi Louie,
I'm from down under in N.Z. and divers from this part of the world are always heading to the destinations you are looking at.The gen here is that the main problems are in the highlands and remote villages in the solomans.There are outlying islands that have resorts that are remote from the insurrections and the capital is generally safe.There are a number of small insurrections that are occuring at the moment or have happened in the last 2 years such as Fiji where their interim govt.has just been found to be illegal in the courts by a N.Z.high court chief justice and also New Caledonia and the Solomans,Vanuatu.Because of these problems there are great opportunities pricewise and the local tourist industries are quick to distance themselves from the rebels and are trying to go out of their way to attract tourists.If you are still worried you can try the British angle but a more accurate way would be to check out the Australian or New Zealand foreign affairs websites as these are the 2 most accurate and in touch govts to the local area.Our peacekeepers are in these regions and so it is in our govt's interest to be in touch.Hope this helps.
You can also probably try the local charter operations and dive shops as these tend to be owned and operated by expatriates from Oz or N.Z. We have found that the media tends to overexaggerate or sensationalise things.Eg.when Mt Ruapehu erupted over here the media in america and canada made it sound like the whole country was exploding and we had calls from relatives looking to see if we survived.Just keep on digging.The more research the better.If I can help anymore than ring my bell.Chow from the gasman

Back
Top Bottom