wet suit for Cozumel in July?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Joy

New
Reaction score
Hi everyone-
I am new to this site and think it is an awesome way to learn more about diving. My husband and I are heading to Cozumel next week and staying at Scuba Club. Could someone tell me if full wet suits are a must in Coz in July. I'm sure it's a good idea due to staying warm and/or protection from sun and sea creatures.
If someone could give me some insight on different options... 1mm vs. 3mm etc. and also can we get them through Scuba Club dive site??
Thanks so much for your time-

Welcome to the board!
You'll love Scuba Club Cozumel! We did!
The water will be quite warm....I have never worn a wetsuit at Coz but I am quite warm natured.

Joe

Welcome to the board. Went to Coz in mid May. Wore a 0.5mm diveskin for exposure protection. My dive buddy Worea swimsuit and t-shirt. Water was about 85 F even at depth. Had a great time. Hope ya'll do too.

I reccomend wearing some sort of full exposure suit protection as there are a number of jellyfish as well as areas with fire coral there. A friend of mine wore a shorty there a few summers ago and left with a huge mark on the back of her calf which stayed for a few months. My friend and I who wore full suits had no marks. The thinnest like a thermoskin is all you need but I have a 1.5 I wear and I am not too hot. Have a great trip!

I'm be in Cozumel in a week as well.

For exposure protection, it really comes down to your individual tolerance for being cold. Although the water temp is in the 80's, it's lower than your body temp so every dive you are dropping your core body temp.

I was in Cozumel last year, did 12 dives over 5 days, with some snorkeling trips in the afternoon. I wore my 3mm shorty and felt chilled in the afternoon while snorkeling. Also, if you are going to wear a suit, make sure it's a fullsuit. While going through a swim-through at Santa Rosa Wall, I stopped to look at some coral and a newbie who couldn't stop herself pushed me right into some fire coral. My left forearm welted up and I was pretty miserable for a couple days. Had I been wearing a fullsuit, it wouldn't have happened.

If you're only doing a few days of diving, a couple dives a day, you can probably get away with only using a swimsuit or a skin. I'm doing at least 19 dives over 6 days, I'll be wearing my 3mm fullsuit.

Mel

In Cozumel, I use a 3mm full in the winter and a 3mm shorty in the summer. I've also seen people dive with just tee shirts and shorts in the summer. You may find that the full suit gives more protection. You'll have a great time in Coz. Dive safe.

Wife & I were at SCC last week averaging 3 dives per day. Warter temps were running 82 to 84. Fresh water inflow area at SCC shoredive entry/exit cove were a bit cooler. Wife is cold blooded and was happy in her 3mm jumpsuit all week. I was quite comfortable in my .5mm jumpsuit. If it were not for the occasional stinging things, no protection would really be necessary.

I get cold easily so I wear a 3mm full suit for summer/fall dives and a 5mm full for winter/spring dives. My suits are Henderson Hyperstretch so they are very comfortable but I don't think they are as warm as "regular" wet suits.

I tried diving my 3mm suit in March in Roatan (79 degree water) and got cold. But the 3mm suit works great for me when the water is around 83 degrees.

If you tend to get cold easily I would recommend the 3mm full suit.

Back
Top Bottom