cozumel trip report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mikebyron

Registered
Reaction score
Wow, just got back from 8 days in Coz after 6 years since our last trip.

Ok, so we stayed at the Occidental Grand. It is an all inclusive resort pretty far south serviced by Dive Palancar. The hotel was great. As a gift, family upgraded us to the Royal Club. This was a great perk. Food was good if not great every single day. Never got bored of the food. A few meals in the buffet and the rest in the restaurants that require reservations.

Dove with BlueXTSea a couple of days (all we could get on short schedule). Small fast boat with excellent service. Our DM, Pedro was great and made a point to make us better divers on each dive. We had some VERY fast current a couple of times and was fun, but an advanced dive and we had to hang on the bottom a bit to try to keep the group from getting seperated.

Dove the rest of the time with Dive Palancar (house operation). They were very convenient in that I could just stop by or call and reserve the morning dive the night before. Large boats and was great that we took our surface interval back at the hotel dock most times. Groups were larger and more varied in experience level (as would be expected), but they were quite interested in keeping all happy.

We did get blown out and couldn't dive for 2 days because of Hurricane Rita in the Gulf, but got back on the stick on Friday. Actually had our best dives on Friday, including some awesome drift night dives.

Although vis was down from my previous trip to coz, it was still awesome. Id probably say it was 40-50' but I'm guessing.

anyway was a great vacation and tons of fun.

Hey Mike:

Nice report, thanks for posting it. Is it fair to say the Occidental Grand has fully recovered from the hurricane in July?

mikebyron,
welcome to this board.
thank you for your trip report.
glad to hear y'all were pleased with occidental.
my son and i dove with pedro and blue xtsea last july and we enjoyed the experience.

Welcome to Scubaboard! Nice trip report.

re: occidental grand recovered...

If I had not been reading this board I would have not know they had any issues. There was some maintenance going on the walkway railings and the quonset huts, but I would have thought it was just that.

I forgot to mention the maid service. I have stayed at some crazy expensive hotels in my day. I have never had maid service this good. Not only was every perfect, they were like ninjas.. would sneak in the second I left the room. 3 services per day. clean, turn down, chocolate and towels. Then they left towel animals each day. Some how they could fold and twist towels into different animals. kinda like balloon animals but with towels. very impressive and very cool to see what "gift" we got each day on our bed.

I do hope you tipped out the maids. They get paid dirt and really depend on those tips.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom