Occidental Grand and Allegro Update

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Christi

PADI MSDT/Former CZM Dive op owner
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
OK...my friend Stephanie who is a wedding planner here in Cozumel, along with her assistant Janie did a site inspection at both the Occidental and the Allegro yesterday. She is the wedding coordinator they contract out for weddings there and she has some upcoming weddings at these hotels.

Here are their impressions and what they were told:
Occidental Grand looks great and is almost ready to open. She was told that it will open on Friday (the 27th)! They only need to complete a few thatched roofs on the beach palapas and fill one pool. That's IT!

"The beach looks great", and even more level than before. For those of you who have stayed there before, rmember that there was a pretty stepp drop off from the hotel grounds to the beach...that was actually the result of Hurricane Isidore in 2002. The combination of sand that has been slowly washing back in and the hard work has made this a very nice beach again...easy to walk on and much more even.

Allegro is slated to open February 15th, but only time will tell. They will be giving free upgrades to the Occidental until it opens for those with reservations at Allegro.

She'll have some pictures in a week or two.

I hope this helps ease some minds.

Thought you be interested in the following...

Thanks again for the info.

Mike and Robbin

Good morning dear Mr. & Mrs. Teicher:

The Hotel Allegro is expected to be open by february 15th, but all the bookings made between january 31st. and february 14th. will be relocated in our sister hotel Occidental Grand Cozumel which is only half mile ahead from the Allegro. Don´t worry about the change, we are the same company and we will take care of you.
Have a good day,
Regards.

Carmen Figueroa Sánchez
Reservations assistant OAC
reservasoac@mx.occidentalhotels.com
Phone #: 987-87-29730.
Fax #: 987-87-29745.
-----Original Message-----
From: Mike and Robbin Teicher [mailto:mteicher@wi.rr.com]
Sent: Miércoles, 25 de Enero de 2006 05:51 p.m.
To: OAC Reservaciones
Subject: Allegro Cozumel

To whom may concern:

I have booked the Allegro Cozumel through Apple Vacations for Feb, 8 - 15t th
The Web ScubaBoard after an onsite inspection said that you will not open until the Feb.15!!!!

Your official Web site says that you will open Jan.31st

Please let me know who is right,

Thanks, Mike and Robbin

The Grand is a MUCH nicer facility. Sounds like a good time to pay for the Allegro and get the Grand.

Too bad I'm not going down until April

Rich Hagelin

richhagelin:
The Grand is a MUCH nicer facility. Sounds like a good time to pay for the Allegro and get the Grand.

I'll second that! anyone interested in staying at a VERY nice AI should jump on this one!

That's great news Christi! Even though I don't patronize either, it will mean more diver back to Cozumel and hopefully back to normal.

HI Christie,

This is the first time I've checked into the site in awhile, cuz, even though the supposed opening date for the Allegro and Grand was 2-1, I decided to give them some slack and make my res. for the Allegro for the end of Feb. Looks like I wasn't too far off. Really looking forward to returning to Cozumel and the Allegro (or maybe the Occidental) and getting back into the water. My favorite local dive shop (Dolphin) traveled to Cozumel a couple of weeks ago, and reports the diving was great, and all had a great time.

Thanks so much for the update.

Jim

Yes, the facilities and rooms at the Occidental are newer and more upscale than at the Allegro, but the atmosphere, grounds, acitivities, beach and night going's on at the Allegro were so much better than at the Grand that people staying there were always wanting to come over to the Allegro to play when not diving.

Sounds like the beaches at the two resorts may have have equalized somewhat, but it will be interesting to see how the other attributes have changed. Frankly, I don't care, because, based on past experience (been visiting the Allegro for the past 10 years at least once, sometimes twice a year) it's going to be great. Can't wait!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom