Heading to Coz April 3-11 2006 (Caribe Blu/Blue Angel)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mschaub

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi All!

Just another month to go until vaca--spending more and more time on here so I know I'm getting anxious.

Finishing my OWC pool/class up here in Joisey (next Thursday last one) and doing my check out dives with Blue Angel down in Coz April 3-11. Boyfriend who is AOWC will be heading down with me. Anyone else on the board going to be down there this time?

Read some threads about the shore diving not being so great-- two of my four check out dives are going to be from the shore-- hope the currents agree, even if there isn't much to look at.

Also -being that I'm novice and my bf, intermediate-- what is everyone's experience about mixed skill levels out on boat dives? I'd like to be buddies but don't want to hold the rest of the boat back if I'm the newbie.

Will continue to read trip reports in the next month!
Mary

You can always ask for a private divemaster about $20 so that you can enjoy your dive without worrying if your holding others back. Most dives can be done at different depths so the rest of the divers can be at 90 -100 on the wall and you can be above them at 60.
Make sure you control your dive.
Don't let others talk you into something your not sure of. Tell the shop and the divemaster on the boat what you are comfortable with and stay within your predive profile. If bf loves you he will agree with me. If you want him to do his thing and not worry about you, hire the extra divemaster for the first time then see how it goes from there.
April still is very busy down there and I am sure that there will be other first timers to hook up with. Blue Angel has several boats and will put you on one with others of your ability. Make sure you make everything clear to them at the shop.

Lou

Mary,

Lou is so right!
In your class you are taught the right way to do a predive profile and then stick to it. Honey this is your life we are talking about. Do not think about what the other divers are doing or if your holding them back. You get a buddy and you talk to them and decide on the profile for the 2 of you. This becomes the only thing you have to worry about. You and your buddy with the help of the divemaster have a plan and stick with it. You watch each other and keep an eye on the divemaster. If, and it sometimes happens, your buddy decides to do something different while your down in the deep blue and your not comfortable with it tap your tank and let him know. If he goes deep don't follow unless you know what your doing. In Coz 50' does not look far away and if your at 60 and go to 110 there are a whole set of new rules to follow. Being new to diving and the wonderful sights to see in Coz you can easily forget to watch you depth and air.
I would also recommend that on the first boat trip after the OWC dives you hire a personal divemaster. It's not that much and he can teach you and refine your skills.
You may feel that after that you won't need one anymore.

Nan
PS. get a tank banger or horn for your hose, you can't talk underwater so some kind of noisemaker is a must. I use a big Brass hook that I just have hanging from my shoulder d ring. I can pull it off easy and it goes back quick. Also I don't forget it cause it's always there. The bangers on the tanks sometime you forget to change them from tank to tank then there not there when you want them.

Thanks-- makes total sense. Will definitely stay conservative. Thanks to for the head's up on the temptation to go deeper than I'm ready to. I can definitely see letting this happen if you're not mindful of it.

Mary

I agree with the suggestion of the private DM. Cervando at Blue Angel does a lot of the instruction/check out dives and he is very patient and kind. He may well end up doing your check-out dives and he's who I'd suggest you ask for simply based on the fact that I have seen him in action and have dived with him. (Jorge and Matt tend to go out with the dive boats in the morning.) I saw another woman there last week also doing some training and she also seemed quite nice but I've not been out with her. I didn't do any shore diving there but did take a look. It would appear to me that the entry for shore diving is easier than it was but that there is probably a lot less to see than there used to be (and that is what the folks staying there told me).

One thing you should know about how Blue Angel DMs manage their dives - even though they group divers by ability, they start out as a group but send divers up as they get low on air, staying down with the divers who are best on air to maximize dive times (the notion being that you are all certified divers trained to do this). That means you could all well be doing a dive where you agree that the maximum depth is xx but because of differing air use, individuals within the group ascend at different times.

So you could well find yourself being sent up to the surface with only your boyfriend as your buddy when you don't have much experience on ascents, safety stops etc. etc. Doing a safety stop in the open water can make you a bit nervous if you are new to diving. So make sure you have a safety sausage and know how to use it! I did one ascent with them last week by myself - I am very comfortable diving alone, so it was no problem. On most of the others, I was the last diver up, so came up with the DM.

Don't get me wrong - I LOVE diving with Blue Angel and have done lots of diving with them. But each dive op has their own approach to how they manage their dives and you need to pick what works for you. There are lots of really good ops in Coz to choose from and your chances of getting one that works for you is probably greater here than anywhere else in the world!

Please discuss your expectations/needs with Jeannie or Victor in advance so that you are comfortable with the dive plan.

Have a blast!

Mary:

Talk to the Divemaster (when booking) and your buddy (when assigned). I am surprised how often I am on a boat where everyone chats about everything EXCEPT safety or the dive profile (this has gotten me to assume that I am a buddy but never have a buddy). Many dive operators "group" people and ask to signal 1500psi so they can get people up before they run out of air - not what you are taught so ask "how is the dive going to happen?". Don't be shy, say it all. Better open your mouth and feel like an idiot than open your mouth and feel water in your lungs!
Make sure they understand that you are aprehensive and want to stay at a conservative depth. Make sure your buddy respects the thumb up sign to abort the dive ANYTIME so you know they will be with you. Ask them if they understand that:
1. It is your first dive alone - Yes mam
2. You want to stay above xx ft - Yes mam
3. They agree to abort the dive if you sign it - Yes mam

(that is in addition to every other checks you do before diving).

If they don't agree to that then ask for another buddy and talk to the DM.

Your #1 problem will likely be boyancy. You could likely bob like a cork. So:
1. Read your air gauge every minute (you don't want to run out)
2. Read your depth gauge every 30sec-minute (depth perception is deceiving in Coz.)
3. Relax (it actually helps with boyancy)

As your bf is AOW make a deal. You dive with him for your first 3 dives and he can do 3 dives with another buddy if he wants.

I do not recommend the use of a saussage (and reel) for your first dive. You will have plenty of things to worry about (like maintaining depth during your safety stop) beside deploying an SMB.

I like the quiet ocean so please only use a tank banger or a quacker/horn if you are in trouble and not to signal "look at the turtle" .

Good luck,
JL

PS: My first dive after OW my experienced buddy had an OOA 15 min into the dive (did not watch their gauge so sucked the tank's bottom), they got my octo but did not manage to purge, they panicked, did an emergency boyant ascent (I followed), caughed fishes. Did ok after that.

PPS: I'll be in Coz April 19-20.

Read some threads about the shore diving not being so great-- two of my four check out dives are going to be from the shore-- hope the currents agree, even if there isn't much to look at.
I think you'll be busy enough learning to dive and proving that you did that you don't need to worry about anything to see. It will be nice training in 80 degree clear water rather than a 60 degree murky practice pit.

I'm with homo maris here about not carrying a reel at first. I've always carried a sausage & storm whistle since my first ocean dive and suggest this to others, but you hope you don't use them. If your Spg and Depth guage are on the same console, carry it in your left hand once you get certified - that's a good way checking both very often, and help prevent newbie arm waving. Before I started carrying a camera, I liked to carry my console in my left hand, my left hand in my right hand, both tucked below my waist out of the way.

I stayed at the Caribe Blu last year and liked it fine for a low cost divers hotel close to town - in fact, I'll be arriving there on April 14th and diving with next door Blue Angel for the first time. I like what MMM said about sending divers up as indicated rather than ascending the whole group together. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom