Where to put in to snorkel at Coz

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Grini

New
Reaction score
We were at Play Del Carmen last June and we are going back to the the Riviera Maya this June. This time we are staying at Akumal where snorkeling is just out our front or door, or is that the back door? Anyway, I posted on Locogringo to see about snorkeling at Coz. And someone sugested to post here to see how the Island has recouperated since Wilma. I need to know where we can snorkel or "put in" for the day and how to get to any specific location. I know there is good snorkeling near the Fiesta Americana but can one get public access to those reefs? Anyway, let me know what you all know and thanks in advance! Feel free to private email me too. Thanks in advance. Grini

Hi, we were there in January this year. I would take a cab over to Dzul Ha (pronounced zool ha) It is a very nice little beach club. It is about a 15 min taxi ride ($6.00) from the ferry docs at the town square. Fiesta American is about ¼ mile down the road from Dzul Ha. We checked the current at Dzul Ha and then walked down to Fiesta Americana and snorkeled the current back. The current is usually running North.
You will probably need water shoes, or booties because we walked across some sharp rock shoreline to jump in to the water.
We left our towels, sunblock and beach bag there at our lounge chairs.
I bought a little Pelican water proof case to keep our keys, money and camera in and strapped that to my wrist while snorkeling. That worked out really, really good.http://www.divesports.com/IndexPages_Brand/pelican_brand.htm

Have fun!

Hey there, before Wilma there was some pretty nice snorkeling in front of the El Cid La Ceiba. The dive site is called "airplane flats", again, I don't know what's left, but there is/was remains of a small plane sunken in the '70's for a movie shoot just outside of the swim area. Inside the swim area, there are some nice small coral heads and usually a nice amount of sealife. parrot fish, cuddle fish, yellow stingrays, sgt. majors, triggers, butterflies & angelfish
You can access it by either going into the International Pier's shopping center and walking straight through to the beach where Seinor Frog's is at, or you could check at La Ceiba and see if they still have thier day pass, that will allow you access to the beach, pools, swim area and restaruant, food and drinks will be extra, but I think the passes are around $12 for the day/pp.

Another idea is Playa Corona, just up the street form Fiesta Americana, nice little day beach with good food, showers, bathrooms, plenty of umbrellaed tables for some shade. The snorkeling isn't great, mostly flat, grassy areas with some small coral heads. But like I said it is within walking distance of F.A., you could spend some time at both.

Of course this was all pre-Wilma, maybe Christi or someone else local will chime in with a current report on conditions at these places

the water proof case for keeping valuables in is a great idea. I have a waterproof bag that I use for both snokeling and diving to keep valuables in, works great snorkeling. with the added water pressure diving, it leaks occationally, but the dive master's don't seem to mind a soggy tip.:D

Have a great trip!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom