Totally not dive related...but need computer advice!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Christi

PADI MSDT/Former CZM Dive op owner
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Does anyone out there have a Toshiba Satellite laptop? Specifically the Satellite A105-S4014?

It has some really great features, including a dual mode touch pad that allows you to launch e-mail, internet, etc. with just a touch. Problem is, I can't figure out how to make that feature work. Also, occasionally, the touch pad illuminates and the cursor freezes up...anyone know what this is and/or how to "fix" it when it does this?

Christi:
Does anyone out there have a Toshiba Satellite laptop? Specifically the Satellite A105-S4014?

It has some really great features, including a dual mode touch pad that allows you to launch e-mail, internet, etc. with just a touch. Problem is, I can't figure out how to make that feature work. Also, occasionally, the touch pad illuminates and the cursor freezes up...anyone know what this is and/or how to "fix" it when it does this?

Well, Christi, what is wrong with your computer is that it's not a Mac.

Duck and cover. ;^)

Once you go Mac you never go back!:D

go to your control panel, look under system and see what type (most likely symantec) your touch pad is. Then download latest drivers, that should do the trick, if not PM me.

Hey Christi, I don't have that computer, but diagnose and fix computer related issues for a living (if you can call it that :wink:) and will take a couple of guesses that will hopefully lead you in right direction. you need to access the setup by going either to the toshiba console or to the mouse under control panel, that will allow you to set up what each of the cpad corners does. you can also set up whether the sides of the pad do a 'scrolling' thing, and can change the black and white wallpaper displayed on the pad.

This is info from the toshiba website I got off this page

you might also need to uninstall and reinstall drivers for touchpad in the correct order and make sure you have the latest drivers for them which can also be found on the toshiba website. feel free to post back or pm me if you need more detailed help, I will try to do what I can remotely, and will offer to work on it in person for free if you can provide transpo and lodging :wink: :D

Christi:

I looked up your model at toshiba.com and found the online manual, the dual pad section is on pages 62-67. This is the addy to the .pdf site
http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/su/su_sc_docTOC.jsp?moid=1311509&ct=UG&soid=1266386&BV_SessionID=@@@@1593233341.1157490716@@@@&BV_EngineID=cccdaddikdklgelcgfkceghdgngdgmn.0
The virtual buttons and dual mode can be enabled or changed in the mouse properties dialog box. Start Control then mouse. ask if you need any other help.

ggunn:
Well, Christi, what is wrong with your computer is that it's not a Mac.
She's been eyeing my laptop the last few times I've been down... I see a Mac in her future :eyebrow:

Go Mac, Christi!

Can't go wrong with it - you can as of lately even run Windows on it. But, of course, you won't. :D

Thanks all for your help! I will try all of your suggestions...then get in touch with you if I still can't figure it out. BTW...I tried reading the manual...but it's all in Spanish and computer technology is not yet in my Spanish vocabulary...haha!

Here's the deal to you Mac fans out there. I DESPERATELY want a MAC laptop for my personal use...BUT...I have to prioritize...and that means putting other things first :)

As some of you know, my hard drive crashed awhile ago...and I"ve been using my personal laptop for everything. I needed something faster and with more storage space, so I (the company) bought the new computer for business purposes.

Telmex (our local phone company) now offers some pretty decent deals with friendly financing terms on Dell, Gateway, and Toshiba computers...so I took advantage and bought this computer throught the program.

Anyway...thanks again for your advice!

I think Christi enjoys having a computer that actually has software to go with the computer. I know that if she has a Suunto Dive computer, they don't make software for macs to download your dive profiles.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom