Afternoon Cenote

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divebag

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm looking for recommendations on diving a cenote after doing 2 tank am dives in Cozumel. We are travelling with a group organized by our LDS which will be diving and staying in Cozumel. It may make a long day, but 3-4 of us want to go the mainland for the cenote experience after the morning dives. I'm looking for operators and cenote sites that can accomodate us arriving by ferry to PDC mid/late afternoon. We will have our own gear and would prefer something relatively close because we will return to Cozumel by ferry afterward.
Any tips or ideas?

You would really be better off planning a day to do a 2 tank cenote trip to the mainland instead of trying to dive Cozumel in the morning and doing cenotes in the afternoon. If you hire a private guide (Dennis at Diablo Divers is great and will meet you at the ferry in PDC) they will meet you around 9am at the ferry in PDC. To do 2 good cenote dives and have lunch in between, you'll be back in PDC around 3pm, maybe a bit later. I don't know of anyone who will take you on afternoon trips. You would be starting out too late in the day to get in 2 cenote dives if you plan to do AM dives in Cozumel. You could email Dennis and ask. Since you would be the group for the day there may be a possibility.

I really enjoy the cenotes but it takes more attention and effort for me to do the cavern dives then open water dives, especially compared to drift diving. If you're already a bit tired from 2 AM dives you might not enjoy the cenotes as much and you might find that you're getting chilled quicker as well. (Water temps are around 76-78)

I agree with Scuba Wife. A cenote tour to the mainland is not something you do after a two-tank morning dive in Cozumel...it is something you have to want to do instead of a day of boat diving.

I don't know anyone that would even offer an afternoon cenote tour even if you did have the time to get over there etc. after a morning of diving Cozumel. It's just not practical.

Definately give Dennis from Diablo Divers a call. I did 2 cenote dives with him last year and he was awesome. Looking at possibly doing the cavern course with him this January. My wife and I will be in Coz for 2 weeks and I think it might be perfect timing for the course.
Kelly

Thanks for the tips. I'll probably give Dennis a call, but it sounds like the plan may be a little ambitious. Thats the kind of information I was looking for. I've done 2 morning dives, an afternoon dive and then a night dive numerous time (within NDL's), but I guess the travel time to and from the mainland and finding an operator to do a single late cenote dive make this plan a little complicated. Thanks again for the tips.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom