Whale Shark seen in Puerto Morelos!!!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doberman

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
HEY GUYS!,

Just to let the scubaboarders know, yesterday Scorpiodivers went diving with Snorky to Puerto Morelos, and just as we were getting to the boat in the dock, we got a call to our capitan telling him there was a Whale Shark in the area!!!!!, So we got on the boat and less than 2 mins from the dock (like 100 feet), a Whale Shark!!!!!!!!!!!

Strange as they are not supposed to be there, and specially in this time of the season!!!!

On our dive we saw like 15+ eagle rays and 2 Lion Fish.

Talk about divers luck!

Heres a link in youtube from Snorky who filmed the whale shark and the spotted eagle rays in the wreck.

Have a good day!!!!!

YouTube - Whale Shark 1

YouTube - Eagle Rays

Awesome videos...I especially love the eagle rays. They are my personal favorite. Wonder if that whale shark was a little bit lost, though. They've usually disappeared by the end of August. Please, do me a favor...the next time the sea gods smile down upon you and bless you with a whale shark visitor, PLEASE don't grab it's dorsal fin like that.

That's so cool to see them completely out of season and where you wouldn't even see them in-season. We had one show up as we were descending on a dive in Akumal a few years ago, this time of the year. It was an amazing experience. Stayed with us several minutes too. We were told by the DMs we've known for years in the area that occasionally a few will get separated from the herd as they continue on with their migration. They eventually head in the right direction and meet up.

The one in your video looks like he has a damaged dorsal fin. And as Jen mentioned, please, don't ride the whale sharks (or any other marine life that matter) In Mexico I believe it's actually a federal offense to touch them.

Yeah, the Domino's dorsal is missing a big chunk; looks like it's been manateed. So who grabbed it? Did he go deep after that? Poor guy. Bet he's having troubles in life with his dorsal so.

The one in your video looks like he has a damaged dorsal fin. And as Jen mentioned, please, don't ride the whale sharks (or any other marine life that matter) In Mexico I believe it's actually a federal offense to touch them.

If you want to ride a lionfish, that'd be OK, I believe. :D

Last edited:
If you want to ride a lionfish, that'd be OK, I believe. :D
Have they changed park rules yet? Funny, but it's still unlawful for a tourist to bother a lionfish.

Why are you guys telling the guy that shot the vid not to touch the shark? It's good to remind not to touch critters but the Op wasnt touching it.
Awsome fortune in seeing and videoing it though, thanks for posting.

Why are you guys telling the guy that shot the vid not to touch the shark? It's good to remind not to touch critters but the Op wasnt touching it.
Awsome fortune in seeing and videoing it though, thanks for posting.
Well, I did ask who it was that grabbed the fin, but I don't think it was Doberman who shot the vid. He said "Heres a link in youtube from Snorky who filmed the whale shark and the spotted eagle rays in the wreck." I wonder if Snorky made a point of telling them the rules. When I snorkeled with Dominoes, our skipper & first officer didn't seem to have enough English to explain but they were posted on the boat in plain sight, and rangers were around.

Back
Top Bottom