Christmas gifts for children in Cozumel 2011

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive Choice Mexico

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Dear diver(s),

A couple of years ago we have started with a great idea for Christmas and it has been a success as well!
We are collecting Christmas gifts for the poor children of Cozumel.

It is always a blast to see the smiles on the faces of the children every year and with your help we have collected over 300 gifts!
This year we have collected gifts again and we are getting there, but I want to ask you if you have a little bit of spare space in your suitcase, please buy a small gift for a child who really will appreciate it here in Cozumel.

This year on the Scuba Board invasion in Cozumel a lot of divers donated already.
Thank you guys a lot for that!!!

If you stay at the El Cid/La Ceiba, just come in and bring it to the dive shop Babieca we work together with them.

If you stay somewhere else, you still can participate!
Write me a mail: info@divechoicemexico.com or a private message on this board and we can meet somewhere on the island or I can pick it up at your hotel.

Deep Blue in the center of town will also collect the toys.
You can find them on Avenida 10, corner Rosado Salas, opposite where used to be La Choza, for the insiders.

Also our office is at Avenida 85 between Calle 7 e Hidalgo numero 11

Let's put a smile on a child's face together!!!!

Attachments

• IMG_5936.jpg
    IMG_5936.jpg
    316.4 KB · Views: 563
  • IMG_5893.jpg
    IMG_5893.jpg
    366.3 KB · Views: 264
  • christmas kids 2010 004.jpg
    christmas kids 2010 004.jpg
    436.7 KB · Views: 367
Your so cool! I will be down in a couple weeks with some stuff for you to give out. Thanks. you and your people are what life should be about. thanks, kev

Karen and Ricardo do an excellent job of this every year. It's actually really easy to find a couple extra inches in your luggage when your head to the island. We did it last year and the good news is that most children's toys have hardly any weight to them.
You guys rock! See you in April for some cenote diving and some island dives.
Tracy

Thanks for including the pic of the little boy with the soccer ball. One of my all time favorite pics. Not sure if we're coming down prior to Xmas or not but will bring a load if we do.

Thanks for including the pic of the little boy with the soccer ball. One of my all time favorite pics. Not sure if we're coming down prior to Xmas or not but will bring a load if we do.
Gifts for the kids can be brought all year long, storage is easy. I do and there is not an issue with anyone that collects these items to store them. Good on ya for bringing stuff down.

That picture stays my favorite as well!!!!

We also started to collect items to sell for a garage sale we are planning to organize on December 3rd 2011 and the money we collect that day goes directly towards the Toys For the Children in Cozumel.
Yesterday I got my first truckload of great items to sell!!!
Thanks a lot Matt and Marg.

Can someone setup a PayPal for this?

Another thread asking for donations based in Cozumel worked, I was able to send funds.

I think this is a great idea. Perhaps other diving communities in other locations might also benefit. It's surprising what 1USD can buy for children.

Hi Karen,

Thanks for taking the time last June during the Scubaboard invasion to take my wife and I on a tour of where you distribute to the children, really appreciated you taking time to do that!

Karen is a super nice person with a big heart, if anybody is on the fence about taking a few items, please consider it, its really simple to do and means so much to the kids on Cozumel. I had no idea how much of a poorer area there is on Cozumel until Karen took the time to take us there. Anything you can fit in your suit case will be worth it, it doesn't have to be extravagant, something as simple and small as a jump rope will light up a child's face. A trip to the dollar store or the bargain bins is all it takes!

Very popular in Canada are thrift stores, that have many high quality children's clothes that were hardly worn.
I'm thinking some very nice dresses for girls might make them just as happy as having a toy.

Back
Top Bottom