Cozumel Turtle Brigade

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JFS

Contributor
Reaction score
Its a very busy season this year for the Turtle Brigade. They are averaging atleast 80 nests per day now with a total of over 2000 nests recorded since May 15. The nests have just started to hatch as of last week. Nest #14 was on July 5th. Here is a quick video from last night activity on the other side https://vimeo.com/70156332 . The Conservation office runs 2 programs if you would like to participate. One is for daytime, the other is for night. It is by donation to participate and they always need supplies. It is a very dedicated group of people involved. PM me for details.
icon_biggrin.gif

Thank you for taking the time to post and share this! It does my heart good to start the day seeing something so positive and beautiful happening on the island that I miss. Simply amazing footage. Kudos to the volunteers. well done indeed.

i was lucky enough to help out one day last october. it was a lot of fun. and educational. i wish my son was there. he would love to do something like this.

Heres the video you can click on. VERY COOL!!!! Thanks for sharing it!!!!

[video=vimeo;70156332]http://vimeo.com/70156332[/video]

Rafael Chacon, Cozumel’s Director of Ecology and the Environment, is reporting there have been 3,227 turtle nests identified in the windward-side beach area between Rasta’s and Mezcalitos. The Ecology department and their volunteers are still patrolling the area, and are reporting between 7 – 15 nesting turtles a night. Anyone can volunteer to assist these sea creatures as they come ashore to nest. A $55 usd donation and previous reservations are required.
Some of the very first nests have now started hatching, and volunteers are releasing the young turtles back into the sea. Starting August 15th, the turtle trailer will be staffed and prepped for the second stage of turtle season: Search and Rescue. The program is slightly different, with orientation starting mid-afternoon. Volunteers will revise marked nests in search of hatchlings who haven’t made it out of the nest yet so that they too, can make it to the sea. The orientation fee for this phase is only $25 usd, and is open to anyone between the ages of 4 – 70 years old.

Either contact, Cozumel Turtles on facebook, www.facebook.com/CozumelTurtles, or visit the Municipal Department of Ecology, located at the Cenote Park on Av. 65, just south of Moby Dick.
Also, every Saturday, starting at 8 am, volunteers are still leaving from the Ecology offices for a weekly beach-clean up. Again, anyone is welcome to join.

Back
Top Bottom