Newbie Trip Report - April 24th to 29th Aldora & Casa Mexicana

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LCTX

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
First a bit of history. After getting our OW in 2013, we did a few dives in the local lakes around Houston to get our feet wet and gain some experience before taking a cruise in November. We then did 2 tank dives in both Roatan and Cozumel during the cruise. We both really loved the experience and right away we started talking, researching and planning this trip to Cozumel. I joined SB and then started reading the new and old threads, going back a few years and I also read dozens of articles from other websites and watched lots of videos.

After receiving some excellent advice, we decided on Aldora and opted for Casa Mexicana after finding out the Villa was booked.
We arrived in Cozumel before 11am and after playing (and losing) the green light/red light game, we headed to Aldora to sure up the pre-planned dives for the week and drop off our equipment. Afterwards, we walked to CM to check-in but the room wasn’t ready so checked the bags and headed out to grab some lunch and few items from Mega for the room. At 2:30 pm, we met Dario w/ Aldora for our first dive at Paradise Reef. Again, on some very good advice from Aldora plus reading many of you on SB giving the same advice, we opted to have a private DM for the first dive. I have to say this was a great decision, especially for my wife which it benefited greatly. She is naturally the nervous type, this calmed her down and set the tone for a great week. Dario was very patient and did a great job. As you know, if mama isn’t happy…

My wife has scoliosis. So, I very much appreciate that they take care of your equipment for you. (minus the wetsuit) I fully realized the value after the first 2 am dives. No matter how short the walk was back to CM, it would not have been fun with two full sets of equipment.

During the week, I logged 10 dives including 1 night dive on Saturday and my wife logged 9. Each of the 10 dives were so amazing. I guess that is why Cozumel is one of the top dive spots in the world, each area seems so different and unique. The night dive was awesome! We saw a variety of sea life, such as spotted rays, angel fish, spotted drums, seahorses, lots of lobster, turtles and nurse sharks (including an 8-footer) and a whole bunch of sea life that I didn’t have a clue what it was. The SI’s at Mr. Sancho’s we great. It’s a nice place to relax, eat a bit if you want or just people watch.

I know my experiences with dive Ops are limited. But my experience with companies that supply services (Oil/Gas Industry) are not. That being said, Aldora is a class act. They made our 1st real experience in scuba absolutely great. To the many that recommend Aldora on SB, you are 100% correct....Thank you for steering me in the right direction.

Casa Mexicana was good second choice for us. The hotel was very clean and well kept. The rooms were nice and the A/C worked very well. The bed was very comfortable. The staff was friendly and helpful. The breakfast buffet was good and the coffee was ready at 6 am. With it being in the city, it was a short walk to restaurants, shopping and made it easy to get out explore. Plus, we got to see the cruise ship folks sprint down pier screaming “wait” that decided to arrive late. The only down fall to our stay was the band played until 4 am Sunday morning somewhere very near the CM. I’m not sure where they were but it seemed as if they were in the room next door.

As far as restaurants, we felt there was no sense in reinventing the wheel nor suffering the consequences of Montezuma’s revenge so we relied on the recommendations from SB. Since CM has a good breakfast buffet, we only ate one meal a day out. We tried Le Chef, Wet Wendy’s, La Mission, El Moro, Del Sur and La Choza. My wife’s favorite was Le Chef and mine was Del Sur but all of the restaurants were very good.

Overall, every aspect of trip was great. We are already planning our next trip Aldora in the fall. This time, we are going to stay at the Villas.

Last edited:
You will find that staying at the Villas to be a very nice experience. You won't have breakfast there unless you stay in a room with kitchen facilities or perhaps go with cereal or similar. Lodging selection on Cozumel is often a trade-off of sometimes conflicting requirements so you will just have to see what is available and decide which works for you. The Villa Aldora is not for everyone but I like it.

The noise issue is why I avoid central downtown hotels now.

Last edited:
Welcome to the world of being a Cozumelaholic! You'll join the rest of us counting the days until the next trip. (Mine is in 52 days :D !!) Aldora is a class act and I'm glad you got to dive with them. Thanks for the report!!!

Thanks for the nice trip report. We have never stayed at the villas or dove with aldora, but have seen their villas and thought they were very nice. My wife and I do not cook and enjoy the ease of going out each night to try different restaurants in town.
I talk with Dave every year when I see him at our scuba show and know he runs a great operation.
We both love Casa Mexicana for all the reason you mentioned, plus it is a nice place to just hang around the lobby, balcony on non dive days.

Thanks for the great trip report. Glad you had a great time and are planning your return.

We came 3x a year for two years and then decided to move here. People are always asking why we chose to retire in Cozumel??? For the diving, of course!!!

You get hooked and will keep coming back.

Betty

You will find that staying at the Villas to be a very nice experience. You won't have breakfast there unless you stay in a room with kitchen facilities or perhaps go with cereal or similar. Lodging selection on Cozumel is often a trade-off of sometimes conflicting requirements so you will just have to see what is available and decide which works for you. The Villa Aldora is not for everyone but I like it.

The noise issue is why I avoid central downtown hotels now.

We toured the villas on Friday afternoon and I snorkeled there on Monday evening/night. We loved them.

I was in Cozumel from 4/24/14 to 5/1/14. I did ten dives that were all great. I met a lot of divers that go there twice a year every year. It was great drift diving. I especially like Horshoe at Palancar, Santa Rosa Wall and Barracuda. We stayed north of town (San Miguel) at the Coral Princess. It was pretty good, but it was also half empty. They said it was the low season. We took a taxi when we went to town every day to eat Dinner and hit the tourist traps. El Moro was our favorite restaurant. It only cost about 60 pesos a taxi ride ($5.00). I dove with Pepe Scuba and they were a great dive op. A friend of mine went earlier in April and dove with "Diving with Martin" and said it was also a great dive op. The next time I go I think I may try "Scuba Club Cozumel" or something closer to downtown and closer to most of the southern dive sites.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom