MOF/NMOF Dry Tortugas liveaboard trip report.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubakevdm

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
So, I looked around and couldn't seem to find an actual trip report thread on this recent (Oct 18th - 21st, 2007) trip outside of the MOF thread. For those of you who don't know... the MOF thread is part of the Surface Interval forum, which you have to opt into to see. Anyway, the MOF'rs are long time ScubaBoard addicts and mostly kooks. We are pretty active both on and off the board, and this trip, put together by Howard E was the second big MOF event (the first being a trip to Catalina). I am posting a report on the trip out here in the public forums so that normal people can have access to it as well.

The trip was on a liveaboard charter called "Ultimate Getaway" and included 20 passengers, most from the MOF thread. The itinerary was as follows:
Depart Thursday evening, arrive on site early Friday morning, dive pretty much non-stop Friday (6 dives), sleep, dive pretty much non-stop Saturday (6 more) and then transit Saturday night halfway home and dive the wreck of the Baja California (did it) and the air force comm tower ( canceled due to roughness) in the morning on Sunday, then transit the rest of the way back, returning at around 5pm Sunday night.

I don't remember all of the specifics of each dive, but I will offer a general narrative of the trip. I will say that the two most surprising things about the whole trip to me were the turbidity of the water and the intensity of the diving.

The water was not at all as I had imagined it would be. It was greenish, especially on the first day, and visibility was between 20-40 feet, mostly 25. The reefs weren't very colorful and everything looked dusty. There were, however, a fair number of game-fish, which were what many of us were interested in on this particular trip.

The pace of the diving was pretty intense too. The dives were moderately deep, usually in the 70-80' range, though some were as shallow as 45, and some as deep as 120. Dive times were limited by how long long you could make your gas last. Decompression diving was permitted, but violating computers was not. I incurred obligations on my last three dives of Friday and Saturday. Most of my dives had about 1 hour run times, but I had a couple of pretty long ones too.

The crew did their job well enough, and were pretty like-able and fun to dive with. Also the boat was pretty good for what we were doing. It wasn't brand new, or super luxurious, but I don't remember finding anything that didn't work on-board, and it was comfortable. I really liked the tank fill system, you only had to set up your gear once, they filled it right on your seat. Pretty sweet.

I found some mixed reviews of the operation prior to going on the trip, most of them were complaints about the fishing. I think that the fishing was fine and that the area was fantastic, however, I could understand how someone who was singularly concerned with shooting fish may be frustrated by trying to do this with 19 other divers in the area. I usually forewent the reef intended on the drops and explored less interesting structure in order to find some quieter real estate. Inevitably, sections of the reef that had already been visited by the bulk of the group were pretty barren. I ended up with some nice fish this way, but members of the group also plucked some nice catches off of the intended sites as well.

All in all it was a very fun trip, and if I have the opportunity to go again and have the money, I will go.

P1010008.jpg

Me and a Black Grouper

P1010002.jpg

Nice little Hog

I didn't take the camera underwater at all on the trip, but I think that some of the others did, and hopefully they will post pics in here.

This was a GREAT trip! We had so much fun! Tons of diving and great people. I had 2 small complaints. Short fills, which isn't that big of a deal if you don't pirate your tank. And the food was not that great. I would definately do this trip again! Thanks MOFers!!!! :)

This was a GREAT trip! We had so much fun! Tons of diving and great people. I had 2 small complaints. Short fills, which isn't that big of a deal if you don't pirate your tank. And the food was not that great. I would definately do this trip again! Thanks MOFers!!!! :)

Actually, the tanks were LP steels. They were full if they had 2400 psi in them. I typically got filled to about 2800 psi.

Actually, the tanks were LP steels. They were full if they had 2400 psi in them. I typically got filled to about 2800 psi.

Really? I never got past 2600 and most were less than 2500.

You should double check your SPG :wink:

First of all, I must say that both Suzanne and I enjoyed ourselves immensely. Suzanne got certified and she now has found a new world in which to explore. I got to see a shark (finally :wink:) and to see some Goliath groupers, so I call the trip a great success.

The entire group was a blast to be around. I don’t think you could find a better group of gung ho divers to hang around with. So even though the diving was good, I think the people were better.

Chip, I don’t care what anyone says. You are solid in the water, a good buddy and a blast to have a beer with. It was a great honor to have you as a buddy for a few dives.

I also wish to give special thanks for some very great people that went out of their way to help Suzanne and myself out during this trip.

Howard, Michelle, Tracy, Kevin, Joyce and Marvel. I wish to thank you for all your help and assistance while we were down there. I am truly amazed and blessed to be able to know you and I hope that I can call you my friend.

Anyways, I hope to have some video posted within a week. Chip…I got the kill shot. It looks great. :)

Really? I never got past 2600 and most were less than 2500.

You should double check your SPG :wink:

Wierd. Alex, Jason and I all usually had just under 3000. Maybe different benches somehow got different fills? Anyway, even at 2500, it's still not a short fill. Besides, there was enough diving going on that the amount of gas worked out pretty well as far as keeping people out of trouble with deco.

Wierd. Alex, Jason and I all usually had just under 3000. Anyway, even at 2500, it's still not a short fill. Besides, the was enough diving going on that the amount of gas worked out pretty well as far as keeping people out of trouble with deco.

Maybe there were issues with their gauges on the different banks. Shelli was on the same row as me.

But yea...there was enough gas to do the dives.

Good stuff Kev. I agree with you on the boat. Very middle of the road but I'd probably do it again. Just being with friends making memories is all that really matters to me - oh and the two groupers :yeahbaby:

Jeff, my pleasure. I just wish the two of you could have stayed longer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom