Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.

Thread: Ft. Pickens Dive Report 12-2-07

Photographer

Can't think of an appropriate
    smart-ass comment to insert
    here at the moment....

Dives
    200 - 499
    Photos

Thumbs up Ft. Pickens Dive Report 12-2-07

Went out today on a private boat out to Ft. Pickens and had a very nice day. Low tide was scheduled for 12:45 and we arrived on site at 10:00. We brought along some rope to tie off to the 10 ft cage and the 20 ft cage in case the current was running, but found there to be zero current at all at 10:30 when we splashed in. Surface temps were 61* with a thermocline at 15 fsw that brought the temp up to 65*. My Mares semi-dry worked like a charm and kept me nice and cozy all day. There was a lot of growth on the rocks with some type of plant life. Saw some decent sized snapper and grouper on site, as well as wrasse, trigger fish, crab, and a few fish I will have to look up to find their names. We navigated around and found that the golf cart is still there as well as quite a bit of the other more well known landmarks. On the second dive the tide was just barely moving so we entered in right by the rocks and let the current gently take us along on a slow drift dive. Diving this really made we want that darn road to be fixed so that I could enjoy this dive all the time. All in all I had a great day of diving, beats work any day.
    “From birth, man carries the weight of gravity on his shoulders. He is bolted to earth. But man has only to sink beneath the surface and he is free.” -Jacques Cousteau

Captain

GOM Dive Guru

Photos
    What was the Vis?
    Capt. Gary.
    Gary's
    Gulf Dive Charters
    Orange Beach, Al.

www.garysgulfdivers.com
    #251/747-6563
    "LET US TAKE YOU WHERE THE LOCALS DIVE"

Registered

thinks LiteHedded has a pretty
    mouth

Dives
    500 - 999
    Photos
    Thanks for the report, I haven't been to Pickens since the roads were knocked out
    The best springs in life are free.

Photographer

Can't think of an appropriate
    smart-ass comment to insert
    here at the moment....

Dives
    200 - 499
    Photos
    oops, I forgot to put in what the viz was. Once I dropped below the thermocline the viz was in the 15 to 20 ft range. The skies were overcast and I think if the sun was shinning it would have increased the viz quite a bit and take into account that we were diving at low tide. Even with viz at 20 ft it was really a good dive. with all of the plant life growing on the rocks I bet this area has lots of tropicals on it in the summer. I saw lots of stuff hiding all over the area. I definitely want to get back to this site again even a couple times this winter wouldn't hurt my feelings. Maybe we can organize a trip out with Gary, what do you guys/gals think?
    “From birth, man carries the weight of gravity on his shoulders. He is bolted to earth. But man has only to sink beneath the surface and he is free.” -Jacques Cousteau

Indescribable!
    Go Red - Support SB!

is in a cave or wants to be

Dives
    200 - 499
    That water is tooooo cold Walter!!! I just don't have enough exposure suit to make that a comfortable dive. I am barely comfortable at the springs in 68 degrees with 3 layers of wetsuit and a hood. I think my ocean diving is done until the temp rises a bit more than that.
    Denise (good girl)