8-30-8 Whiskey Wreck Dive Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SuPrBuGmAn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
A bit late on this, I know...

Met up with a high school buddy of mine, who also lurks the SB forums as IntotheAbyss, and hit up Gulf Shores for some pre-Gustav beach diving shinanigans. The water was calm and clear. Looked like a big blue lake out on the gulf. Visibility was around 10-15' for the majority of the dive, slackening a bit later on, but not to the point of ruining our fun. The wreck is no more or less covered than the last time I was out there several months previous, so hopefully the trend of it covering has stopped(and maybe the storms have since uncovered it more?). Basically there's still over 100' of the starboard side hull visible with a couple of ribs still exposed enough to swim under. The stern section is also visible, but you'll have to cross about 20-30' of sand before you come across it as the hull connecting it to the remaining relief has been covered. The sealife was abundant with a couple of sightings on southern rays and flounders. I found the biggest stargazer I've ever seen buried in the sand. Hoards of spadefish followed us around as pigfish and mangroves jetted in and around the wreckage. There were a few pinfish, blennies, scorpianfish, puffers, damsels, and sheephead around as well. All in all, a fun dive lasting 88 min with a max depth of 13'. Took me ~30 min to find the damned thing - guess I need to start bringing the compass again.

Bug, we want a post-Gustav report! =)

If I can talk a buddy into going sometime this week before the surf starts piling on from Ike, I'll post a report.

Yeah, so forget Gustav, I'm hoping to get a post-Ike report sometime soon. Maybe this weekend if things calm down and clear up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom