Trip Report Lake Superior - Sol Mates II - Silver Bay, MN

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gmerick

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Relaxing, de-stressing weekend of diving on Lake Superior.

The Boat: Sol Mates II, 65’ Norseman Sportfisher.

Crew: Capt. Hanz, mates Craig and Blake.

Dive Sites: Maderia Wreck (twice), Split Rock Lighthouse, Lure Wall, Hesper (night), Shovel Point, Black Sand Beach, Hesper.

Divers: 6 well experienced divers, all booked through Mick's Scuba, Moorhead, MN. 1 rebreather, 1 sidemount, 1 wetsuit, 1 lady. Great mix. Hans briefed what we could fit into the weekend for dive sites, meals, schedule. Consensus ruled the day.

Meals Friday night supper brats and burgers on the marina dock. Saturday Bacon and eggs, noon pulled pork, supper lasagna. Sunday Pancakes, we elected to do 3 morning dives, and I had noon meal off the boat. All meals had all the trimmings, and we ate well. Snacks and fruit available throughout the day. Kudos to Blake and Craig for meal preparation.

Accommodations: Lower deck: 2 guest cabins, sleeps 6. Main: Lounge with kitchen and spacious dive deck - more than enough for 6 divers plus crew. Top: Bridge, horseshoe seating, and 2 deck chairs. We used the top deck for suiting up, and hanging dry suits between dives, along with general siteseeing.
We spent both nights sleeping on board while docked in the marina. It was nice not having to deal with the marine head; the marina headquarters had 8 spacious private restrooms with showers, and an upstairs gathering place.

The Diving.

I drove up Thursday, and stayed at my cousins place on the lakeshore 20 minutes south. Lake superior was living up to it's reputation with waves crashing high on the rocks all evening. Friday I drove up the shore, visited the lighthouse, stopped at shore locations for two of the expected dives (Maderia and Black Sand Beach -- we did both). Boarded mid afternoon, and weather still looked chancy. No-one objected when Hans called the dives for Friday. Dive sites were well briefed. Assistance on the dive deck was available and appropriate. As this group of divers was experienced, we were welcomed to plan our dives it suited us. Exception was noted for dive sites needing a live drop; all divers would be ready before approaching the cliff. Guides were offered, time limits were not set. Safety ruled the day.

Saturday:
In the morning we motored down to the Maderia wreck and anchored on the bow. East winds had warmed the lake and temperature was not a problem, even for the wetsuit diver. I visited the pilothouse, stern and bow. Did the stern swimthrough 2x. The dive site is so large even two consecutive dives is not sufficient. Water clarity was good, not quite enough to see the pilothouse from the stern, but better than expected. The Maderia is in a sheltered bay, so chop or current were not an issue.

After lunch on the boat, we moved south to the cliff immediately below the Split Rock Lighthouse. Chop and current dictated live drop near the cliff. Somewhat reduced visibility while exploring the rocks and caves. Surge and current assisted travel, almost became a drift dive. For me, boarding became a challenge, but crew assistance kept things safe. Interesting items -- numerous discarded building bricks litter the site from when the lighthouse keeper residence was rebuilt; sightseers on the cliff top showed their curiosity for divers below.

On the way back to the marina, we stopped south of the harbor entrance at a site called Lure Wall. I sat this one out, as I took the trip to relax, and opted not to do another current/surge dive. The younger divers spoke positively of the dive.

Well after supper in the marina, we headed out to the wreck of the Hesper. I've dived this wreck numerous times, and was happy to be re-acquainted on a night visit. The wooden timbers are still in respectable condition. Because of the way the ship opened up when it wrecked, it is educational to observe how this ship was made. Compass navigation was quite helpful in swimming down the keel, exploring the port wall, circling back to the keel before proceeding to the bow, then returning aft down the starboard wall. I then took off on a bearing toward the engine mounts before executing a safety stop and reboarding Sol Mates. There was no current nor chop.

Sunday:
Headed north to Shovel point. Another live drop on the south of the point. The dive plan was to travel north around the point, and rejoin the Sol Mates in the sheltered bay north of the point. Like the Saturday dives, we were unguided (guiding was offered, but declined; I've been here before). Also like Saturday there were no time limits. I was free to explore at my own pace. Shovel point is a very peaceful dive. The wall along the east-facing cliff drops to well beyond recreational limits. Water clarity exceeded 60 ft. Current along the wall assisted but did not drive the dive. The bay was very conducive to exploration, and an extended swimming safety stop.

Second dive on Sunday was Black Sand beach. Sol Mates anchored in the cove south of the sand spit connecting the rocky island to the shore. I splashed when ready, then leisurely traveled around the south point, and north along the lake-side wall. I turned the dive when I reached the sandy beach at the base of the wall at depth of 75'. I returned at a 30 ft contour following the cliff. Again, relaxing, de-stressing.

On our return to Silver Bay marina, we again stopped at the Hesper. I had maxed my fun meter at two dives, and was quite happy to repack my gear while the younger crowd took a daytime look.

Resources:
Full length dive videos -
Sol Mates Dive Charters - Sol Mates Boat Charters | Lake Superior Scuba Diving in Minnesota
Mick's Scuba, Moorhead MN - Mick\'s Scuba

Thanks for the (relatively) unedited video. It's cool to get the real sense of the diving. Is it typical for lake Superior diving to be so free of aquatic life? I guess I expected catfish and bass all over the place, fighting off lampreys, and muskies chasing after baitballs of trout fry. Besides the wreck, it looked pretty empty!

Thanks for the (relatively) unedited video. It's cool to get the real sense of the diving. Is it typical for lake Superior diving to be so free of aquatic life? I guess I expected catfish and bass all over the place, fighting off lampreys, and muskies chasing after baitballs of trout fry. Besides the wreck, it looked pretty empty!

I’ve done a fair bit of diving in Lakes Michigan and Huron, and lack of fish is standard.

But as I’ve pointed out before, we dive for the wrecks and their history, not pretty fishies.

Catfish in the Great Lakes? Where did that thought come from?

My understanding is that the lack of fish and other aquatic life is do to the invasive zebra mussels that have taken over most of the great lakes. They make the visibility on the wrecks better but the aquatic life worse, or so I've been told.

On that YouTube channel I have 3 years of Lake Superior dives. The aquatic life has not changed. Only once did I come across more than only individual fish. There is a school of 5 lake trout in last years playlist.

Catfish in the Great Lakes? Where did that thought come from?
Do the Nellie Lyon shipwreck in the North Channel of the St. Clair River. Hundreds of channel catfish.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom