Jackson Blue Spring Cave Video - Oct-08

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jviehe

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Over the weekend, my buddy and I headed to Jackson Blue Spring in Marianna, FL to get a couple cave dives in. He had some new gear to try out, and I hadnt done a cave dive since last winter. We started at Cave Adventures to rent me a couple of h valve tanks, which took longer than it should have as someone blew 2 burst disks! Which is scary if youve ever been next to it happening.

Anyway, off to JB and into the water. This is a uncut video of the cavern. Once I cut some of the cave stuff, Ill post it.

YouTube - Jackson Blue Cavern

First dive we went to the second breakdown, then explored the main tunnel on the way out. Viz was maybe a little less than usual, possibly due to the cavern class going on. Flow is lower than average. THere were a few other teams in the system as well. Second dive was much the same. After that, my buddy put on his drysuit to try out, and played around in that. Good couple of dives. Following is our dive profiles.

jb1.jpg

jb2.jpg

It doesn't appear that you guys ran line through the cavern? I know some people don't bother, but it should be mentioned for any novices or untrained divers that this is NOT approved procedure.

Right, it is not what we are trained to do. Then again, novices shouldnt in a cave in the first place.

Last edited:
It wont be a regular thing. I just like to take video.

Thanks for the video, Jon. What kind of camera were you using? Also, is there a lighting system on it or were you just using your primary for illumination?

It doesn't appear that you guys ran line through the cavern? I know some people don't bother, but it should be mentioned for any novices or untrained divers that this is NOT approved procedure.

Lynne, I appreciate what you're saying and it's important to be pointed out. But I believe it needs some clarification. It's not necessarily that some people don't bother, rather it's a decision based on several factors. I'll admit I don't normally run a line in JB if everybody I'm diving with is okay with that. But JB is a high flow system in which I have over 100 dives. I know I can get out of the cavern from the main line without a primary set in even if visibility was completely gone. Based on that, I don't feel the need to run a line for me. However, there are other systems where I have several dives (more than I had at JB when I started not running a line) and I still run a line in them because a complete silt out would cause a problem getting out.

I just think that, for every trained cave diver watching these videos, there are probably a dozen people who are intrigued with the idea of diving in caves. (I know I watched TONS of video before I ever got underground :) ) Remember the two OW divers we saw swim into JB, Rob? I can just hear them saying, "Oh, we don't need to run line into the JB cavern, because the flow will get us out." They might be right, but I remember you being fairly upset about them going in there . . .

Thanks for the video, Jon. What kind of camera were you using? Also, is there a lighting system on it or were you just using your primary for illumination?

Its just a cheap Sony Hi8 in a cheap housing. And Im using my primary for light. Definetly see the need for a dedicated video light.

I just think that, for every trained cave diver watching these videos, there are probably a dozen people who are intrigued with the idea of diving in caves. (I know I watched TONS of video before I ever got underground :) ) Remember the two OW divers we saw swim into JB, Rob? I can just hear them saying, "Oh, we don't need to run line into the JB cavern, because the flow will get us out." They might be right, but I remember you being fairly upset about them going in there . . .

No complaints here. Feel free to warn away. Its definetly never a bad idea to have a continuous line to the surface. Im just lazy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom