Wakulla County Sinks Dive Report 2-7-9 plus a spring and sink tour

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SuPrBuGmAn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
DogHouseDiver swung by the house around 5:30AM and we loaded up his car before heading East. DHD will be taking a cavern course before too long and he was looking for some gear help as well as getting to see some of the dive sites that will be available to him with a cavern certification. Our first stop was at Jackson Blue, in order to check out the park and show him the head spring of Merrits Mill Pond. The morning was a bit on the cold side, and steam was rising off the pond quite a bit. I pointed out where Shangri La was located.

JB393.jpg

MillPond398.jpg

After walking around a bit, we headed off to Day Loop and I pointed across to where Twin was located. Then we headed off to Cave Adventurers to check out the shop there, the boats available for rent, and also pointed at a general direction towards Hole in the Wall. Steam coming up from the pond was too thick to see the platforms at Twin or Hole from across the waterway.

Once finished up at Cave Adventurers, we struck out further East and headed into Wakulla County. Our first stop was to check out where Cheryl and Emeral Sinks were located. Then we went across the highway to Wakulla State Park and State Forest property where we parked and took a little hike to view a stretch of 10 sinks that are all inline on the same cave system that stretches from Leon County and far into Wakulla County(likely to the Gulf of Mexico). Conditions were very favorable, so we made arrangements to bring the car around to a private residence adjascent to the State Forest property where we were allowed to dive. We geared up and I managed to break my third handcart on the trail to our destination. D'Oh!

Promise404.jpg

By this time the temps were in the 70s and I was actually breaking a sweat getting the gear to the sinkhole we'd be diving from. DHD and I dropped in and enjoyed an easy 30-40' of visibility with a green tint to it. We struck out to the deep side of the sink and checked out the entrancy to the cavern there, then explored the basin under the duckweed and headed to the upstream side of the sink. We made the 30' traverse under the swim through to the next adjascent sinkhole where we explored its basin and the huge limestone arch running across midwater. I pulled some fishing line out as well as the remains of a mask while DHD pulled up a single snorkeling fin. We went back downstream to our original sink and explored a bit of the deeper cavern entrance again before calling it a dive with a max depth of 87' for a dive time of 51 minutes. Great little dive!

We headed out and stopped in at Wakulla Diving Center, talked to Gregg for a bit, then headed over to a few other sinkholes to check on conditions before going to the Wakulla County Dive Club meeting. This was just a day trip, so after the meeting we headed back home talking about cave diving the entire time, made the trip fly by in no time. Looks like we'll have another diver crossing over to the darkside before too long :D

Nice report Matt! It was a nice surprise seeing you at Cave Adventures. I passed my Cavern and really enjoyed my first dives at JB! I can't wait to hit it up in April at Spring-Spring Fest II! I also had the pleasure of getting a taste of the Ear at Ginnie. Our team headed in to the Lips and then made our exit. Great dives and a beautiful weekend!

Cya soon!
Carolyn:shark2:

Thanks for the report Mat...I was reliving my dive at those sinks while reading about your weekend. We gotta get back there with my new camera....there are some good pictures to be had going from one sink to the next. I want to look around in the downstream cavern some more...that is where I saw my first albino crawfish!

Nice report Matt! It was a nice surprise seeing you at Cave Adventures. I passed my Cavern and really enjoyed my first dives at JB! I can't wait to hit it up in April at Spring-Spring Fest II! I also had the pleasure of getting a taste of the Ear at Ginnie. Our team headed in to the Lips and then made our exit. Great dives and a beautiful weekend!

Congrats on Cavern! I was suprised to see you at Cave Adventurers as well :D

Thanks for the report Mat...I was reliving my dive at those sinks while reading about your weekend. We gotta get back there with my new camera....there are some good pictures to be had going from one sink to the next. I want to look around in the downstream cavern some more...that is where I saw my first albino crawfish!

I was trying to talk shagman into a trip out there too, maybe the three amigo's can hit Wakulla :D There will be several great weekends to do it before too long, we have a few projects in the work that include adding goldline to some of the sinks as well as building stairs at one of the sites. We can have fun, and be productive too!

Those JB pics look nice, thanks for the report.

Congrats Carolyn! I missed you guys by a day- I was there on Sunday. I hear there were a herd of people at JB on Saturday.

I definitely need to get back to Wakulla, those are some sweet dives.

There were quite a few cave classes going on at JB. We were just trying to time it so that we weren't in the way too badly. Overall it was a good day. The ballroom at Ginnie on Sunday was all to ourselves for all our complicated tests. The activity was hopping down at Devil's when we headed there for more fun dives.

Carolyn:shark2:

one of these weeks I am going to have to make it up there for a few days. I am so far only cavern, buthear a lot of those places up there are must dive spots for cavern divers. What would it take to get a guide to show me the cool sinks?:wink:

A ride from Alabama at this point, if you want me to guide - LOL!

Lots of really really great caverns out here though, I'd definately recommend waiting until Morrison opens back up since its very nice(2x as big as Ginnie's ballroom) and big. Might as well check out the cavern at Vortex while in the area. Cypress is nice, but not very large - but the OW portion is the most stunning you'll ever see. Jackson Blue is very big. Couple sinks in Wakulla that can be traversed within the cavern zone, but you have to be part of the WCDC($25 yearly dues) and pay $10 to a private land owner adjascent to the sinks to get diving access.

There are, of course, more than that... but longer boat rides, and skill levels come into play.

Matt, thanks for the tour!!!

For anyone wanting an education in Cave/Cavern and a GREAT tour of the Marianna and Wakulla areas I highly suggest offering the bug-man a ride. I got to pick his brain for 3+ hours each way and it guided a lot pf my future decisions on training and purchasing (avoid buying twice). add in the dive plus the fun at the WCDC meeting and it was a great trip, we just need to add in an overnight stay and another few dives next time.

I highly recommend going out of your way to get Mat a ride to the springs, any time he wants to go I'm there. He was was also really great about making the dives fun within my limits without complaining. Hey, either way we're still diving. He never made me feel like a boat anchor, and the WCDC has been really welcoming as well.

Cavern in March! Now about that Nomad rig.....

ps, Congrats Carolyn, it was great meeting you! Hopefully I'll see you @ Spring Fest.

Back
Top Bottom