Ft. Pickens Dive Report 7-31-2011

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DocCarl

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I left my better half to her job Sunday morning in order to meet up with the loosely affiliated 'Gulf Coast Diving Society' for a couple tanks in Pensacola Beach. The group's plan was to meet around 10:30 to do a tank at Ft. Pickens, followed by another at the Portifino Christmas trees. My Plan was to get to Pickens by 9 and get an earlier first tank in, and then make the other two dives.

So anyway, TessUnderWater and I arrive on scene about 10:15:idk:.

We discovered parking to be in short supply, and what I'm guessing to be well over 30 divers in, out, and around the water. Water conditions looked great, so we quickly got set and ready to splash. As we were gearing up, we began to meet up with several of the other divers with the group. Some brief conversation revealed that many folks had not been to Pickens before, so we kind of formed our own group of about a dozen or so in the shallows. Everyone divided in to so smaller groups of about six, and we did a little pre dive breifing for anyone who wasn't familiar with the site.

Tess went with one group as I headed north east with the other. We began our dive at 10:54. Viz was not bad for the site, varying between 10' & 20'. We made the usual rounds, from the rocket launcher & jeep frame to the north east junk pile. Spent plenty of time checking out the life on and under the rocks, and even found a few frogfish.

First dive: 45' for 51 minutes. Temp 83-84.

A few pictures:

Another beautiful day:
web.jpg

Behold! the ultra rare Lutjanus campechanus
web.jpg

Late juvenile Equetus umbrosus??
web.jpg

Purple Gorgonians!
web.jpg

Anyone know what kind of frogfish? I've just started noticing them on every dive.
web.jpg

After the first dive, several of us were excited to have another go at Pickens, before heading to Portifino.
Even though the viz degraded a bit, we still had an excellent second dive. A few of us went out into the channel further than I've ever been.
On the other side of the site, Tess apparently awoke the Kracken: an octopus that was allegedly so massive that it left Tess 'scarred'!! She was showing off her 'octo hickies' for several hours afterwords:shocked2:.

Dive #2 12:43pm. 57' for 52 minutes.

Some folks had skipped #2 at Pickens, and were ready to head to Portifino. A couple of us decided that a blackened fish sandwich and a tasty cold beverage sounded in order, and proceeded to debrief and B.S. at the Paradise Inn Bar and Grill. I still have to make it to the christmas trees!

All in all, some great dives with even better people.

Until Next time!

Carl

I think next time I'll bring a tin of anchovies and hope I find that octopus den again, he was either really curious or upset that I came uninvited to his house. Also saw a sea horse off the jeep frame during the first dive. Great diving despite the low visibility.

I think next time I'll bring a tin of anchovies and hope I find that octopus den again, he was either really curious or upset that I came uninvited to his house. Also saw a sea horse off the jeep frame during the first dive. Great diving despite the low visibility.

Bring ME the can of anchovies and I'll catch a small crab for you in return :wink: I've never been able to get an octopus to take a dead critter (they'll check it out, but not eat it). Your best bet is a crab, they go nuts over crabs, then a live bivalve, olive, or other such shelled critter would be your best bet.

A friend of mine had a pet octopus in an aquarium for a while (generally not a good idea) and they fed it live fish. It wouldn't eat dead ones either.....

Your frog fish is a Antennarius ocellatus (keeping with the scientific name theme)...

Or Ocellated frogfish for everyone else.

Nice report, thanks for posting.

frogfish 961.jpg

had a blast on the 2 tanks @ pickens. FROG FISH are my new fav...... cant wait til our next "society" meeting until then

They have amazing color change and even shape changing ability. and can be very difficult to see.

Bring ME the can of anchovies and I'll catch a small crab for you in return :wink: I've never been able to get an octopus to take a dead critter (they'll check it out, but not eat it). Your best bet is a crab, they go nuts over crabs, then a live bivalve, olive, or other such shelled critter would be your best bet.

A friend of mine had a pet octopus in an aquarium for a while (generally not a good idea) and they fed it live fish. It wouldn't eat dead ones either.....
Cool, he seemed more interested in my hand during the 5 minutes we were seeing him. He tried to drag me into his den with him and at one point acted like he was going to come out onto my hand but I let him go for fear of his beak. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom